Tuesday 23 February 2016

Madhouse recipe : Gooey white chocolate and cranberry squares


This recipe is very loosely based on one that I clipped out of a magazine many moons ago because it intrigued me - it was supposed to be for chocolate brownies but the instrutions said to cook it for 25 minutes then chill it in the fridge for at least 5 hours . That made no sense to me but I wanted to see how it would work. It initially resembled a total fail, but after tasting it, we decided that it is actually rather tasty, but it certainly isn't a brownie !




Gooey white chocolate and cranberry squares


ingredients : 

185g butter
185g white chocolate
3 large eggs
150g  caster sugar
85g plain flour
a pinch of salt
1tsp vanilla essence or grated vanilla pod
10g cocoa powder (I used WeightWatchers Jaffa Cake flavoured)
150g dried cranberries


Put the butter and white chocolate in a bowl and melt in the microwave or a bain marie. Leave to cool.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.


Fold the chocolate into the eggs.


Add the flour, salt and cocoa powder.


Fold in the vanilla and cranberries.


Transfer to a greased brownie pan.


Cook at 180° for 25 minutes. It seemed firm when I pulled it out but as I left it to cool, the molten centre worked its way up and splurged up the side.


I'd used a loose based cake tin and some of the cake batter has leaked through to the baking sheet underneath.


As the inside of the cake was molten - kind of a cross betwen raw cake batter and caramel ! - I decided to use a palette knife to unstick pieces from the baking tin and layer them back on top. I was very tempted to put it back in the oven for a while but decided to put it in the fridge and see what would happen.


The result was a patchwork cake - Frankenstein's cake-monster ! 



After leaving it in the fridge for several hours, I managed to cut it into squares (more or less).


They are incredibly gooey and sticky but surprisingly tasty. The kids can't get enough of them and have asked me to make some more - I have no idea if this is how they were supposed to come out or not though !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...