Wednesday 17 February 2016

Globecooking recipe : Steamed Goji Berry Cakes (China)


In honour of Chinese New Year, I've been working my way through the recipes in my Chinese-themed Kitchen Trotter box, as well as creating a few of my own. You may have seen my recent recipes for Sweet & Sour Pork Spring Rolls, Sauteed Pork, Noodles & Bamboo Shoots, Sweet & Sour Chicken and Crunchy Veggie Salad. I was nervous about trying the final recipe though because it required steaming a cake. The recipe card gaily informed me that I could use a steam cooker, a pressure cooker or a stainless steel, silicon or bamboo steamer basket for this. I didn't have any of those so I had to improvise with a slatted bamboo place mat over a pan of water. It was supposed to steam for 15 minutes but after an hour, they were still barely set. I finished them off in the microwave which worked, even if it's not at all authentic !


 Steamed Goji Berry Cakes

ingredients :

2 large eggs at room temperature
80g flour
2tbsp raising agent (baking powder)
100g sugar
20g melted butter
1tsp grated ginger (or 1tbsp crystallised ginger)
15g goji berries


Beat the eggs.


Whisk in the sugar gradually.


 Switch to a spatula and gently fold in the flour and baking powder. Try to keep it light and airy.


Add the melted butter and ginger and gently fold it in.


Pour the mixture into five silicon muffin cases. Leave to rest for ten minutes at room temperature.


Dot with goji berries and place the muffin cases in a steamer.


In theory you should steam them for 15 minutes but, as I said above, after an hour, I finished mine off in the microwave for 1 minute. 


I was expecting something stodgy like British steamed puddings, such as spotted dick or jam roly poly, but it's actually very light and fluffy.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

If you fancy trying other Chinese recipes, how about Crunchy Veggie Salad or Sweet & Sour Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...