Saturday 6 February 2016

Globecooking recipe : Crunchy Veggie Salad (China)


When I read through this recipe in the Chinese Kitchen Trotter box, I didn't think it was anything special, but as the kids had eaten so much of the pork, noodles & beansprouts (recipe to follow tomorrow) that there was barely enough left for me and Madhouse Daddy, I decided to knock it up to pad out the dish. It ended up being so lovely (not to mention totally guilt-free and healthy) that I'll definitely be making it again.

 Crunchy Veggie Salad


ingredients :

3 carrots
1/4 cucumber
optional : other crunchy vegetables such as bamboo shoots, red cabbage or radish
2tbsp vegetable oil
1 heaped teaspoon Sichuan pepper
2tbsp black rice vinegar
4tbsp soy sauce
2tsp sugar


Peel and finely slice the veggies. (I used a peeler to cut off thin slices of cucumber and carrot.) Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and toss in the peppercorns. Leave to sizzle for 30 seconds then turn off the heat. It's up to you whether you use a skimmer to take out the peppercorns or leave them in.


Pour the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar into the veggies, mix and taste. Adjust if necessary. Pour over the hot oil, mix and serve.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...