Wednesday 9 November 2016

Madhouse recipe : Homemade "Marshmallow Fluff" Ghosts


You may remember that last week, after making homemade ice cream with my new ice cream maker, I had a load of egg whites to use up. I whisked them up with some sugar and made a big batch of utterly simple but delicious mini lemon meringue pie bites. But I still had loads of meringue left over, so I decided to bake it on some baking parchment and see what would happen. It didn't firm up like hard meringues so it was sticky to eat but the kids loved it and Juliette squealed "wow, Mum, you've made marshmallow fluff" ! It did taste very similar, I must admit ! Juliette decided to add faces with some icing gel pens to make ghosts. I think you have to be under twelve to really appreciate them, but they got a rave reception from the Madhouse kids !

Homemade "Marshmallow Fluff" Ghosts

ingredients :

I used the remaining third or so of the meringue mix, made with 5 egg whites and 6tbsp of sugar



Whisk up the egg whites with an electric whisk until they form stiff peaks. Fold in the sugar.


As it was Halloween and I was in the mood for some trick or treating of my own, I tested the meringues by making Pierre stand underneath the bowl and turning it upside down !


Spoon dollops of the meringue mixture on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and place in the oven at 180° for about ten minutes until they've firmed up a bit and started to go brown. They stay soft and sticky but they can be picked up and eaten once they've cooled, although you will end up with slightly gooey fingers ! 


Let the kids loose with some gel icing pens to add faces.


Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky as this was my way of using up leftover whisked egg whites.

10 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy these look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gooey meringues. Well done to Juliette for the creative initiative, and I love that photo of Pierre! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love the enthusiasm for this post - I almost didn't share it because they came out a bit messy ! :)

      Delete
  3. Fun to make and fun to get stuck into. Full marks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever idea, they look very effective. Love Pierre's outfit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's glow-in-the-dark so he loved it for trick or treating ! :)

      Delete
  5. Very cool! I do like food where you can just pop any extra mixture into the oven as some little treats for the bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very brave with the meringue mix there! they look great

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...