Saturday 19 November 2016

Madhouse recipe : Sri Lankan Red Lentils with Wild Boar Haggis


As you'll know if you're a regular reader of my blog, I'm a big fan of globe-cooking and trying out exotic cuisine, but even by my standards, this plateful was a wild and wacky fusion of Scottish and Sri Lankan fayre ! 


While rummaging through the freezer, I came across a pack of Wild Boar Haggis that I'd received in a competition prize some time ago. I decided it was time to do something with it, but I had no idea what ! Looking through the kitchen cupboards, I came across a bag of red lentils that also needed to be used up because they had a tiny hole in the corner of the bag and kept spilling out every time I moved them ! 


This was obviously turning into a #KitchenClearout recipe so I decided to go the whole hog (or wild boar ?!) and checked out the spice rack, opting for a bag of Sri Lankan Spice Mix (which, at a guess, included cumin, coriander and smoked paprika). I'm still not entirely sure about haggis and the red lentils were a bit mushy (I thought they took longer than 7 minutes to cook so I didn't chop the potato small enough) but it filled tummies and made some space in the kitchen cupboards !

Sri Lankan Red Lentils with Wild Boar Haggis

ingredients :

1 wild boar haggis
300g red lentils
2 medium potatoes
2 onions
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2tsp Sri Lankan spice mix (or spices of your choice)
salt, pepper, garlic granules
drizzle of olive oil


Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions.


Chop the potato into small chunks and add them to the pan, along with the red lentils. Add enough boiling water to just cover everything and cook for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.


Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and the spices.


Give it all a good stir and cook for a further minute, until it is warmed through. Meanwhile, chop the haggis into slices and zap in the microwave for five minutes.


Serve hot haggis slices on top of the lentils.


Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky as it cleared out lots of odds and ends that had been lurking because I didn't know what to do with them.

3 comments:

  1. That surely is an unusual combination of world cuisines and flavours. I haven't tried a wile boar haggis, does it taste more gamey in comparison to the usual one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a richer taste - I wouldn't have identified it as wild boar though, although I'm not a haggis expert by any means !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...