Wednesday 18 July 2012

Ainsley Harriott World Kitchen Wild Mushroom Bulgar Wheat review


I've reviewed several of the products from Ainsley's range now - Chilli & Lime Flavoured Quinoa & Basmati Rice, Lentil Dahl, Couscous - so today, when I decided to try out the Wild Mushroom Bulgar Wheat, I wanted to do something a bit different and incorporate it into a recipe rather than just use it as an accompaniment to meat or fish.

If you've been following my weightloss journey so far (almost 11kg down since last October !!), you'll know that – thanks to a combination of Thinking Slimmer's SlimPod (which does all the hard work for you, finetuning your subconscious so it makes you want light options and stops you pigging out)  and WeightWatchers Online – I've been managing to shed the pounds while eating basically whatever I want, just keeping a check on portion sizes and choosing healthy options. Well, today  I adapted the recipe from the Weight Watchers ProPoints  One Pot Meals book and  made Turkish Stuffed Peppers - the whole family loved them and they only “cost” an incredibly low 6 ProPoints. That's less than my usual Saturday lunchtime salad at McDonald's !


First I cooked the Ainsley Harriott Bulgar Wheat, following the instructions on the pack. You empty the two sachets - one containing the bulgar wheat and the other the dried mushrooms - into a pan.


You add 425ml of cold water, bring it to the boil and let it simmer for 12-15 minutes. This is what it looks like when it's cooked. The packaging says : "Enjoy the rich, deep flavour of wild mushroom in this delicious alternative to potato". It's a bit like a cross between rice and coucous, with a slightly nutty flavour. The grains stay quite firm so it has a slightly chewy texture which is lovely.


I gathered together all the other ingredients I'd need for my Turkish Stuffed Peppers.


I added currants, tomato puree, garlic, spring onions, mint, spices and feta to the cooked bulgur wheat.


I then mixed in some lamb mince.


Sophie set to work stuffing this mixture into the peppers that I'd carefully cut in half and deseeded.


Ready to go in the oven - Sophie said we should rename them Traffic Light Stuffed Peppers !


An hour later, they were ready to eat. The peppers had become lovely and soft and the moisture seeped into the stuffing, keeping it moist. I served this with some fried tomatoes and mushrooms and everyone declared it totally delicious. Who'd have thought "diet food" could taste so good?!


Ainsley's Wild Mushroom Bulgur Wheat contains 265 calories, 9.9g of protein, 52.5g of carbs, 1.7g of fat (of which 0.2g saturated) and 3.8g of fibre for one serving (half a pack) but our pack (with added ingredients) stuffed 12 pepper halves.


star rating : 4.5/5


RRP : £1.39 for 150g


for more information : http://www.ainsley-harriott.com/products/ranges/amazing-grains/14/wild-mushroom-bulgar-wheat-


Disclosure : I received a selection of Ainsley Harriott World Kitchen products in order to write honest reviews.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


Ainsley Harriott World Kitchen Chilli & Lime Flavoured Quinoa & Basmati Rice review
Ainsley Harriott World Kitchen Couscous review 






10 comments:

  1. Maria Jane Knight18 July 2012 at 14:08

    Oh goodness this is making me drool!! Yum,yum yummy! I dont sduppose you want to come to my house any cook for me do you :)

    @mariajkknight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sure, as long as you do the washing up !! ;-)

      Delete
  2. the peppers look yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy - I will definately try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "traffic light peppers" name! And they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. never been a lover of Ainsley's stuff, always found them over flavoured to the point of being unpleasant. Well done Sophie these look brilliant, nice to get them involved, and really the sort of thing Sophie could make by herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie's a fab cook - the only thing I do most of the time is supervise and deal with taking hot things out of the oven ! She even likes doing the washing up afterwards ! :)

      Delete
  6. I like his cous cous. Didn't know he did bulgar wheat. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stuffed peppers look really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats how to prepare Ainsley Bulgar,thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...