Tuesday 17 July 2012

Good Heavens! Divine Drinking Yogurt review


3-year-old Pierre (it's his birthday today !) still drinks a bottle of milk in the morning, but the girls aren't too keen on drinking milk any more. I'm not overly concerned because they eat plenty of cheese and yogurts and they will drink milk if it's flavoured or made into hot chocolate, but when I was sent a selection of Good Heavens! drinking yogurts to review, I immediately thought it would be a great way of getting dairy products into their breakfasts. They already drink Actimel but they're tiny bottles, whereas these Good Heavens! drinking yogurts contain 250ml.


Juliette never has much appetite in the morning so I was really pleased to see that she loved them and drank the whole 250ml bottle alongside her toast and fruit salad. (It's the school holidays so we're making a concerted effort to have better breakfasts !)


Pierre wanted to try one too and he loved it, especially as he thought it was great fun - not to mention extremely grown-up - drinking it straight out of the bottle.


Sophie loved them too, saying they tasted really fruity and more like smoothies made with real fruit than other drinking yogurts that she's tried. I headed off to the label to see if she was right and, sure enough, the Blackcurrant one that she was drinking is a mixture of low fat yogurt, blackcurrant compote, organic sugar and probiotic yogurt cultures (with Bifidobacterium spp). All good stuff.



There are lots of different flavours to choose from, from the traditional Blackcurrant or Strawberry to the more unexpected Lemon & Poppyseed, Salted Caramel or Apple & Pear. They're thick and creamy but have a nice drinkable consistency (not like, for example, McDonalds milkshakes that are so thick they make your cheeks hurt when you try to suck them up a straw !). They taste so indulgent that I was convinced they'd be packed with fat and calories but I was pleasantly surprised actually. 100g contains 75 calories, 2.33g of protein, 13.5g of carbs, 196mg of calcium and 1.2g of total fat (but remember that each bottle contains 250ml). That's still 5 ProPoints for a whole bottle but you don't have to drink the whole lot in one go - it has a screw top lid and can be kept for up to two days in the fridge once opened. They're GM-free, contain only natural ingredients and one bottle contains over 25% of an adult's calcium RDA. Above all, they're delicious so I'd much rather see the kids drinking one of these than a can of fizzy pop when they want something delicious and sweet to drink.

Having used yogurt in Bundt cake and my ultimate lemon drizzle cake recently, I'll also be very tempted to try some of these in cake recipes. I think their rich, creamy flavours would really work and make them even tastier. If they hang about long enough in the fridge, that is !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £1.69 for 250ml

for more information : www.good-heavens.co.uk

Disclosure : I received a selection of Good Heavens! drinking yogurts in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :



6 comments:

  1. Ooo most defintely going to try these & hope Pierre had a happy birthday x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been keen on drinking yogurts but I think the kids might.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love drinking yoghurts but have not yet tried these ones - will defo look out for them! The kids love them too and they are great for warm Summer days to cool and refresh! I love Strawberry flavoured drinks and my kids do too! My youngest daughter threw up a banana yoghurt drink a few weeks back and it was awful to clean up - the smell was unbearable lol and I don't think I would ever buy banana flavoured drinks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've been there and know exactly what you mean - regurgitated banana milk has to be the worst smell in the world !! lol

      Delete
  4. Yum these look good! I'd pick the strawberry one :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...