Monday 2 July 2012

Stork Easy To Mix Baking Liquid - round 2 !


You may remember, a few weeks ago, we tried out Stork Easy To Mix Baking Liquid, adapting a recipe for a sponge cake that would usually use butter. Although it made mixing an absolute breeze, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the result because it sunk in the middle and came out very greasy (and let's not even mention the one that totally stuck solid to the tin !). I was convinced it was a problem with the proportions though and was keen to give it another try.

This time, to give it the fairest trial possible, I used one of the recipes that have been created specifically for use with the Stork Baking Liquid. I shared with you here on my blog a recipe for Mini Golden Victoria Sponges so I decided to give that a go. Here's what they are supposed to look like.



Number of Servings: 12-14

Preparation Time: 12 Mins
Cooking Time: 25-35 Mins

225g (8 oz) Stork Baking Liquid
225g (8 oz) castor sugar
4 eggs, medium
225g (8 oz) self-raising flour, sieved
1 teaspoon baking powder
Filling:
2 tablespoons jam
150ml Elmlea Whipping, whipped
Caster or Icing sugar, to dredge

  1. Place all cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth.
  2. Place heaped tablespoons of the mixes in 12 muffins cases. Bake in centre of pre-heated oven at 180°C, (fan oven 160-170° C), Gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes. Turn out, remove paper and cool on wire tray. When cold remove the cakes from the cases and cut in half horizontally.
  3. For the Victoria cakes, fill with the jam and whipped Elmlea and a dusting of icing sugar.
OK, fingers crossed !

Well, knocking up the mixture was an absolute breeze, taking just seconds, but it all looked perfect at this stage last time too !


Ten minutes later, they were looking pretty good. These slightly flat ones are the ones that I made in the bun tins.


But the ones made in silicon muffin cases look fantastically fluffy. Now that's more what I was expecting last time !


I broke one in half to check and, as you can see, it's the perfect light sponge inside - yay !



They were delicious with a smear of Hawkshead Salted Caramel Sauce spread on top. Dora looks like she's trying to eat it too !


But the Madhouse Mini-testers wanted to copy the recipe suggestion, adding whipped cream and strawberry jam. (I admit it, our whipped cream was squirty cream straight from the can !) They even topped them off with multi-coloured sprinkles for a truly decadent dessert that made them go wow !

So there you have it. Stork Easy To Mix Baking Liquid DOES make light sponges ! I'm still not quite sure why the first attempt went so horribly wrong - a problem with the proportions ? Maybe it doesn't work so well when you adapt a normal recipe or make a big cake ? Maybe I did something wrong without realising it? Maybe it was sod's law because I needed a light sponge base for my Jubilee cake ?!

I gave it 3/5 last time because I loved the concept, even if the cake went wrong, so this time, I'll give it an extra point because the cakes had the perfect light texture. If you're baking with the kids or don't have the energy or strength to cream together butter and sugar, it's a great time and effort-saver.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £1.59

for more information : www.bakewithstork.co.uk

Disclosure : I received a bottle of Stork Easy To Mix Baking Liquid in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic. Much better than last time. It had seemed too good to be true, mow with your results it IS too good - but it is true. Thanks for doing all the hard work for us!
    @mumoffunkids

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a perfect idea & fab that it worked so well this time, think butter has won the challenge for me though in everyday recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done all of you, look fab. must admit thats why we use this type of product (much prefer the rival brand myself) as its dead easy for the wee one to make for himself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just got to the end of my first bottle of this - a banana loaf cake was fine
    Muffins were great (those in paper cases in a tin better than silicon cases)
    a (20cm round) rhubarb cake (where I had to adjust portions and cooking time according to the quantity of rhubarb I had) was undercooked and puddingy, but I may have misjudged the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah glad to hear (in a nice way !!) that your rhubarb cake went wrong - I think that's what happened to my big cake. Needs some trial and error to work out the modified recipes, I think :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...