Thursday 8 December 2011

Hawkshead Relish Salted Caramel Sauce review


We've been reviewing some fabulous foodie products lately that would make a great addition to a homemade Christmas hamper. I can't think of a more perfect gift for those hard to buy for relatives, especially as personally selecting the products make it a really special gift that shows you have put some thought into it.

The latest product on the Madhouse testing hotseat was this Salted Caramel Sauce from Hawkshead Relish. While I loved the idea, I wasn't too sure what to do with it. Having tried various salted caramel products in Madhouse Daddy Mike's native Brittany - including a sticky toffee spread and a to-die-for creamy ice cream with it drizzled through like raspberry ripple - I was determined to find uses for it though !

Having sampled Salted Caramel spread in the past, my initial taste test was a spoonful straight from the jar and a spoonful spread on bread. I wasn't totally won over because the texture was a bit "bitty", full of tiny salt granules that felt a bit strange on the tongue, not as smooth and gooey as the Breton spread that we'd tried. But this is classed as a sauce, not a spread, so I headed to the jar for inspiration.


The label says : "A delicious creamy sauce with Halen Mon, Anglesey Sea salt crystals creating an irresistible salty crunch! This longs for pancakes and ice cream or drizzled over ginger pudding or warm chocolate brownies". Well, funnily enough, as you'll know if you've been following the blog, we've just been testing out a Smiley Pancake Maker (here) so I grabbed the jar and put it on the table alongside the jam, Nutella and sugar as possible pancake toppings.



I spread some over a warm pancake and it went deliciously gooey and smooth as it melted. This is definitely a sauce begging for a bit of heat to really bring out its qualities. It would be perfect spread on a thick slice of bread still warm from the bread machine, hot crumpets or toast. It would also make a gorgeous topping to hot apple pie, crumble or even Christmas pudding. I haven't tried this but I'm sure you could put some in a bowl, microwave it for a few seconds and have a delicious hot toffee sauce for pouring over ice cream or fresh fruit too.

I'll definitely be experimenting to see what other ideas I can come up with so let me know if you have any suggestions !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £3.75 for 200g


Other reviews you may be interested in :

1 comment:

  1. This is totally my type of thing - love it - although i always buy these things thinking they look fab then have no idea what to do with them so good to get some ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...