Stork recently released their new Stork with Butter, which they say has been perfectly blended with baking in mind to deliver cakes with both a fluffy texture and a delicious buttery taste. Its unique combination of oils and butter makes it easier to mix with other ingredients and it creates more volume as you mix, producing a lighter, fluffier texture. It can also be used to make a rich, creamy and smooth icing in minutes. We received a voucher to try out the new product, along with a rather fabulous recipe for a fun butterfly shaped cake.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
250g Stork with butter
250g caster sugar
4 large eggs
250g self-raising flour, sieved
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
150g Stork with butter
300g icing sugar, sieved
1-2 tablespoons milk
Green sugar paste
Coloured sprinkles (optional)
Fold in the flour until blended.
2. Place mix into a 20cm (8 inch) greased and lined round cake tin. Bake on middle shelf of oven 170°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4 for about 70 minutes.
3. For the icing, beat the Stork with the icing sugar, adding a little milk for a soft spreadable consistency. Using the cutting guide (see bakewithstork.com) cut the cake into the four sections as indicated on the template. (Imagine a CND peace symbol as a rough guide !)
4. Coat the top and sides of each piece of cake with the icing.
5. Position the pieces as indicated on the template on a serving plate. Colour remaining icing in complimentary colours for the butterfly decoration. Place the icing into piping bags, and pipe the decoration onto the wings.
6. Decorate with sprinkles
7. To create the butterfly’s body, roll small balls of green sugar paste, slightly tapering in size and slide a piece of spaghetti through the middle of each ball, finishing with a slightly larger ball for the head. Place in position down the middle of the butterfly. Enjoy! (We raided the crafts cupboard for the finishing touches instead !)
This was a great cake that tasted lovely and was really fun to put together. The kids really enjoying getting involved in the mixing and the decorating and it looked pretty spectacular, so it would be great as the centrepiece for a birthday party.
Disclosure : We received a voucher to try out the new Stork with Butter and make the Butterfly cake.