Thursday 9 July 2015

Globe-cooking recipe : Kiwi Burger (New Zealand)


How's that for the ultimate burger ?! Believe it or not, it's missing an ingredient or two but I decided to stop building up the layers or it never would have remained standing, let alone fit in my mouth !


When I first saw a New Zealand blogger talking about a hamburger with beetroot in it, I thought it sounded weird and probably not a good idea at all. However, when I saw some beetroot sitting in the fridge that needed using up (you buy it freshly cooked, not pickled, in France so it has a short shelf life), I decided now would be the perfect time to give it a go. Recipes seem to vary so I went with what was in the fridge and layered up cucumber, tomato, cheese, onion rings, beefburger, beetroot and lettuce, in a bun spread with onion relish at the bottom and American hot dog mustard at the top.


A classic Kiwi burger should also apparently have a fried egg and bacon in it but this was already taking on epic proportions ! So what did it taste like? Well, it was actually really tasty. The beetroot, tomato and cucumber made it lovely and moist and the flavours all blended together really well - so well, in fact, that I couldn't really detect the beetroot !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***


Fancy having a look to see what's lurking in the back of your larder? Join in with this month's #KitchenClearout linkie !

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

9 comments:

  1. So glad you liked the beetroot! The classic does include a fried egg but I don't add them to mine either. Cheers from NZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha I'm pretty sure it was on your blog that I first saw a mention of it but I couldn't find a mention of it when I went looking to link up !

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing. I love fresh beetroot (and picked too), and think it can be teamed with just about anything savoury.

    You should definitely try it with the fried egg...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to take out some of the other ingredients - maybe the onion rings - or it would topple over ! lol

      Delete
  3. Wow, I saw your Kiwi Burger at #tastytuesdays & had to come over & check it out :-) I've got some beetroot that will be ready soon, will be trying it out in a burger, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow look at that amazing burger, wow! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a massive burger but looks awesome #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had beetroot, but that is one burger supreme. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazingly tall burger from NZ. Beets in burger sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...