Monday 30 January 2012

Kitchen Devils Scissors review



I have to admit, when I first heard about Kitchen Devils Scissors, I sniggered and cynically said : "What's that for? Snipping open the sachet on your frozen ready meal ?" Let's face it, scissors aren't tools that you often see putting in an appearance on Masterchef or on celeb chef cookery programmes on TV. Then we received a pair to review and I have to say, I was impressed.

We've always had scissors in our kitchen but they were just normal scissors that you'd find in your average office or stationery drawer, not proper kitchen scissors. The Kitchen Devils scissors are much sturdier - I was amazed to see that they are guaranteed for an amazing 15 years ! I could be a grandmother by the time they'll need replacing, how freaky is that ?!! - and also much more comfortable to use.

They also cut really well, probably because they have a serrated lower blade to make cutting easier. I have therefore been cutting things that I usually try to cack-handedly cut with a knife in the kitchen while swearing under my breath ! They're fabulous for cutting the rind off bacon, chopping chicken fillets into bite-sized pieces for stir fry and even cutting the fins off fish, which is always really difficult. They're great for chopping through the tough fat and cartilage on cheap stewing beef that is on its way into the slow cooker and that needs roughly chopping. It makes the job quicker and causes much less arm ache.

I've been so impressed that I now find myself hesitating every time I reach for a knife to see if the scissors would do a better job. Kitchen Devils say that they can "snip through peel with ease as well as herbs, vegetables, bacon and tricky kitchen packaging too." Hmmm vegetables, hadn't thought of that. They could make shredding lettuce a lot easier.



What I really love besides the convenience and the comfort is the safety issue, which is brilliant if you're cooking with kids. 10-year-old Sophie (who may well be making me a granny within 15 years !!) loves helping me in the kitchen and, while I'm happy for her to chop mushroom and peel veg, I'm always wary of letting her loose with a sharp knife. The scissors are much less likely to slip and cut her fingers though so I'm happy for her to get much more hands on. Here she is, snipping through the sausages that we cooked in the Actifry (here) !

I've discovered that Kitchen Devils also have the even sturdier Shears that are designed for cutting through bone as well as meat, fish, etc. I'm impressed that the scissors are also dishwasher-safe, although they should be removed and dried as soon as the wash is over to keep them in perfect condition - I have to admit that I prefer washing mine by hand.

I was a bit perplexed by the hole in the middle, that looks like a nutcracker to me, but a quick bit of research reveals that it's a handy bottle opener.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £10.49

for more information : http://www.kitchendevils.com/





Other reviews you may be interested in :

17 comments:

  1. I have used scissors before for cutting meat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, never heard of them before. We used to have a really good scissors a few years back and I've never been able to get one that worked as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good I could really do with some decent scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen kitchen devils scissors, though my parents have some old knives from that brand which are very robust. I use my kitchen scissors for allsorts so a good pair is essential!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of these, they are great for cutting through tough herbs:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound great, I have normal scissors in the kitchen and I use them loads but these would be a big improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great, I have normal scissors in the kitchen and I use them loads but these would be a big improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great product. I have some very ancient kitchen scissors, but they don't look as good as this. Maybe now is a good time to replace them.
    @mumoffunkids

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bottle opener! Who would have thought! It looked like a nutcracker to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use my kitchen scissors all the time. I hate cutting meat so I find it much easier snipping with a pair od scissors. I don't know what I would do without mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love my kitchen scissors! It's a must have tool in my kitchen, I use these a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd have to tie these to a cupboard to stop them being borrowed I think! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. off to buy, they look nice and sturdy. i am always using scissors in the kitchen to cut fat off meat, cut meat into chunks and to open bags of frozen veg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great x I normally use a knofe to cut my meat which can get messy lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound really good, there is no way my blunt scissors could do what these do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review as hubby is looking for a new kitchen scissors, so he can keep the only pair he has for just meat and these new ones for everything else. Will now go and buy these.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...