Wednesday 25 January 2012

Tefal Actifry Doesn't Just Do Chips : Sausages !



It's been a while since I did a "Tefal Actifry Doesn't Just Do Chips" blogpost but today, I tried cooking sausages in it for the first time. It was actually someone on twitter who had told me ages ago that they cooked sausages in their Actifry and that it worked really well so, as the Actifry was out and in need of a wash (having just been used to cook up some chips for lunch), I decided to try it out for browning off the sausages for the slow cooker casserole I was about to prepare.



I had no idea how long they would take to cook, so did mine (non frozen) for about 15 minutes. They browned up really nicely and, although a couple split, that was literally in the last couple of minutes and may be because I left them too long.


What absolutely stunned me was the quantity of fat that came out of them. The photo doesn't really show it enough but there must be a glass full of fat there ! I didn't add any oil at all to the sausages so this is all just fat that has come out of the sausages during cooking. Better out than in ! You don't get anywhere near as much fat out of them when frying or grilling them so I was amazed !


So there you have it. Perfectly browned sausages ready for the slow cooker (or to be served up on your plate). Another bonus ? You don't get hot fat splattering your T shirt or hands as you often do if you cook them in a frying pan.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


 

12 comments:

  1. And bung a couple of sliced onions in with 10-15 minutes to go! I drain the fat off firtst, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look great, we use a fat fryer may have to purchase one of these

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just throw my sausages in my slow cooker raw with everything else. I so so so want an actifry....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too when I'm in a rush but I like to brown off meat first to give it more flavour and colour. Now I've seen the fat that came out of them, I'll be doing it again too !

      Delete
  4. Wow - I don't have an Actifry. Superb result - but where to put one? Slow Cooker takes up so much room, already had to get rid of the never used juicer:(

    @mumoffunkids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed ! I keep my actifry on top of my slow cooker under the sink when not in use because the bread machine, Tassimo and kettle already take up most of the worktop !

      Delete
  5. Suasages work great! I also love it for meatballs. You have to make sure it is hot first so they don't stick, then only brown 1/2 of them at a time / then stick them all in for final cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great - would love a tefal actifry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love an Actifry, never thought about the fact you could do sausages in them! Maybe I should hint to the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had a normal size 1kg actifry for two years. I use it very often. Chips done in fresh oil every time with no old oil to dispose of. Great for sausages too.
    So to do sausages & chips I decided to buy the Actifry 1.5kg family size to use in addition to my standard 1kg one.
    I am very disappointed.
    The bowl is slightly larger for 50% more capacity so I assumed therefore the wattage would be 50% higher, but it's not.
    It's only 1350 watts when the smaller one is 1400 Watts!
    I feel short changed. Just cooked a risotto & it took 20 mins longer than the Tefal menu book said.
    DO NOT BUY THIS ACTIFRY. They're under powered.
    Save your money. Buy the normal size one instead. Or better still buy two normal size ones for the same money as this family one which is a rip off. It's twice the price & all you get a s slightly larger bowl & a timer that turns it off when done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant machine from someone who can't cook to safe his life an amazing bit of kit for the kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...