Saturday 31 March 2012

WeightWatchers recipe : Malaysian Pork With Pineapple


As I told you last week (here), I've just started trialling the WeightWatchers ProPoints system and have been busy exploring the welcome hamper that they kindly sent through. After a month of Jenny Craig, I'm really pleased to be getting back to cooking from scratch, as well as creating meals for the whole family (including me !) to enjoy together, rather than eating my lonesome Jenny Craig ready meals ! I decided to try one of the recipes from the WeightWatchers ProPoints One Pot Meals recipe book that I received in the hamper.


I wanted to find something that I could make with the contents of my fridge and cupboards, even if that meant tweaking the recipe slightly, and stumbled across the Malaysian Pork with Pineapple dish. It is also really quick to prepare and cook so was perfect for a week night after a long day at work.


A quick rummage around in the kitchen and I came up with pretty much everything I needed. I didn't have fresh coriander and I didn't have low fat coconut milk, so I substituted low fat crème fraîche and some dessicated coconut which worked fine. Looking through the ingredients list, my initial reaction (which was shared by both Madhouse Daddy Mike and Sophie) was yuck ! I was sure that there was no way that all these things could go together - pineapple juice and fish sauce ? red and green peppers and cream ? Are you sure ?!



Well, we decided to take a leap of faith and trust whoever created the recipe, even if we were dubious, to say the least. Sophie helped with the food prep and was delighted to discover a smiley face in our red onion ! Could this be a good omen ?!


Well, I have to say, I think our version looks EXACTLY like the picture in the recipe book and that doesn't happen very often !



Verdict - absolutely lovely ! The flavours all blend together to make a delicious, flavoursome sauce but also remain slightly separate, complementing each other perfectly and keeping your tastebuds on their toes, so you switch from the sweetness of the pineapple to the sourness of the fish sauce then the creaminess of the pork. Madhouse Daddy Mike said it was "strange but really nice" and had seconds AND thirds ! Even Sophie, who wasn't at all keen when looking at the ingredients, declared it delicious.

And the amazing thing is, it only contains 30 ProPoints for the entire pot full or an incredibly low 5 points per serving (unless you eat half of the pot all by yourself like Madhouse daddy Mike, in which case you can triple that !). I added half a sachet of Uncle Bens Mushroom Express Rice which added an extra 5 points, which is still extremely reasonable as I have an allowance of 27 points per day (not taking into account the weekly bonus points and any activity points earned).

for more information : www.weightwatchers.co.uk

Other blogposts you may be interested in :




5 comments:

  1. sounds really good for 5 points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow only 5 points, I really wanted to sign up to WeightWatchers but unfortunately can't afford it at the moment. This looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this looks really nice! Might try making this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely, but not sure about the sweetness of the pineapple with the pork - I might try it out and see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol Masterton27 May 2012 at 15:16

    That looks lovely! And such a low calorie dish. Definitely worth a try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...