Tuesday 21 February 2017

Book review : Emoji Puzzles - 350 Enigmas For You To Solve


Half-term holidays are often synonymous with parental battles trying to get kids away from their screens for a while. Well, Carlton Books have a brilliant compromise - how about prising their mobile phones and tablets out of their sticky fingers and giving them a book based on their devices and social media life instead ?! I knew that this would appeal to teens Sophie and Juliette, but I wasn't expecting 8-year-old Pierre to be equally fascinated. I have to admit that I keep flicking through trying to work out the puzzles too, even if I'm so past it that I made Sophie laugh her socks off by saying smileys and emoticons before finding the word emojis !


The hardbacked book is great as a coffee table book that the whole family can dip into, challenging each other to find the really tricky ones. Some are super simple - Pierre excitedly squealed "Looooook, it's Finding Nemo !" when he saw a magnifying glass next to a clown fish on a Name The Movie page - but others will have you scratching your heads for ages.


Living with a family of One Direction fans, I found the top one on this page instantly and Five Seconds of Summer was just as simple. Some of the riddles target the older generation, such as Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but to be honest, if you're convincing enough, you can make emojis fit in with whatever you want ! Is that Police and The Beach Boys or am I showing my age ?! (Nope, I was right, I've since discovered that there are pages dealing with 60's, 70's and 80's/90's pop culture, so you can even have fun trying to get your grandparents in on the emoji trend when you need help with some of the older references !)


As well as music and films, the book will have you puzzling over sports, books and TV.


There's even a section on historic events which made me smile.

It's great fun, multi-generational and even has a section at the end explaining the history of emojis and what your favourite emoji says about you.

You may also like The Ultimate Emoji Sticker Activity Book from Carlton Kids that I reviewed last year.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £9.99 (currently £7.99)
Hardback
144 pages
172 x 148mm
Published Oct 2016
ISBN 9781853759680




Disclosure : We received the product in order to write an honest review.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...