Thursday 23 February 2017

Globecooking recipe : Cape Town tarts (South Africa)


When I saw a recipe go through on the Food Network website for Cape Town Tarts, I was intrigued and clicked through to find out more. I wasn't expecting the savoury muffin/omelette hybrid that I discovered but it looked like just the sort of thing the Madhouse kids would enjoy scoffing. The original recipe included black olives and blue cheese, but I left those out because the kids would turn their nose up at them.

Cape Town tarts

ingredients :

12 slices of Parma ham
1 onion
1tbsp olive oil
a good handful of cherry tomatoes
50g mild blue cheese (or I used up some red leicester), cut into pieces
75g pitted black olives, chopped (optional - I left them out)
4 tbsp chives, chopped
6 large eggs
225ml milk
Pepper to season
30g Parmesan cheese, finely grated


Use a slice of Parma ham to line the bottom and sides of each hole in a silicone muffin tin.


Gently fry the onion in the olive oil. Chop the cherry tomatoes and, if using, olives and mix them all up in a bowl with the onion. Place a spoonful in each muffin hole.


Pop a small chunk of cheese on top.


Using the same (now empty) bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the milk and chives. (I didn't have any chives so I left them out.)


Put the muffin trays on a baking sheet so they are easier to move. Carefully pour the egg mixture into each hole .


Sprinkle on some parmesan then pop them in the oven, at 180°, for 15 minutes until set and puffed up.


As I had some leftover cooked potatoes, I decided to fry them up in slices, along with some mushrooms, with a little bé rouj (red butter) to use it up. (I told you about bé rouj in my fish with bé rouj recipe so click through if you missed that.)


It gave them a wonderful orangey colour.


Leave the Cape Town tarts to cool slightly before popping them out of the moulds. They can be eaten hot or cold, for lunch or breakfast, and they'd make great picnic/packed lunch food.


Fancy trying some other South African recipes? How about :


This used up the end of a block of red leicester cheese, as well as some cooked potatoes and bé rouj as an accompaniment, so I'm adding it to the #KitchenClearout linky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...