Friday 29 April 2011

Barry M Instant Nail Effects & Glitter Nail Paint review


As a busy working mum-of-three, I never get a great deal of time for hunting out and experimenting with new make up or nail products. I just usually grab whatever is in the drawer and use the same old colours - browns, beiges and pale pinks usually, which are great for a natural look that works well at work but a bit boring if I'm planning a rare night out. I was therefore really pleased when Barry M, who have made a name for themselves as the most colourful name in cosmetics, picked me to review some of their beauty products.


I immediately went to check out their nail products because just five minutes me-time can give me a look that can last several days. I was instantly wowed by the instant nail effects polish because I've never seen anything like it. It looks deceptively simple so I was interested to see if it really was that easy to use.



There is a video tutorial on their website (here) which explains how it all works but basically, you paint your nails in a funky vibrant colour as a basecoat then paint one layer of Instant Nail Effects polish over the top. It goes on like black nail varnish but within seconds it separates into a funky crazy-paving crackled effect that looks stunning, even if - like me - you're a bit cack-handed with a nail varnish brush !


It needs smartening up with a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover and it's really hard to get a decent photo that really shows the funky effect but let me tell you, it's really cool ! If you love the idea but not the cost of getting your nails done in a nail bar, this is a great DIY alternative at a fraction of the price. It's perfect for girlie nights in or pyjama parties because 9-year-old Sophie and 6-year-old Juliette love it as much as me so as a special treat in the holidays, it's ideal.



The other nail polish that I received was their red glitter nail paint. Now the girls LOVE anything sparkly and glittery so they have numerous glittery nail polishes already. The problem is, most of them are clear varnish with a handful of glitter added so when you actually apply it, the result is pretty disappointing.



Just one look at the Barry M red glitter paint showed that this was totally different. In the bottle, it's much more sparkly. As they say on the website, it's bursting with minute glitter particles. As soon as I put on one coat, I could see that this was a much more impressive, glittery effect but two coats gives a lovely intense, sparkly look. The girls were over the moon !



The photo may be a bit blurry but you can see how glittery it is. To paraphrase the famous nursey rhyme :

With Barry M on her fingers and Barry M on her toes,
She shall have sparkles wherever she goes !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : glitter paint £2.99, instant nail effects £3.99

for more information :

Other reviews you may be interested in :





9 comments:

  1. wow what lovely varnis my little girl would go mad for those sparkles:)

    @kikicomp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the nail effect as well, and it's fun! You can have all those different look depending which colour of bas you chose. Also, there's a possibility for your polish to crack differently wether your hands are cold or warm,nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nail varnish think I am going to have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so much fun to use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great and very reasonably priced!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks brilliant and not too pricy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, I did a doubletake when I saw the price - I was expecting a lot more. Love the way you get a different crackle design every time too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love Barry M nail varnishes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a 12 year old boy and I like nail polish but my mum and sister keeps hiding it so I can not use it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...