Macmillan Cancer Support and Silver Spoon are creating an amazing recipe book called the Little Book of Treats. They’re looking for foodie bloggers to enter their competition to be featured in the book which will be going on sale in M&S Cafes throughout August and September, and 100% of the proceeds go towards helping people with lives affected by cancer.
Well, how could I turn down a request like that ? If you want to get involved too, you only have until midnight tonight to get your entries in so you'll have to get your skates on ! Being a bit short on time, I've adapted the recipe that we used on a previous cooking challenge that you may recognise from here, tweaking it to make it our own.
Hedgerow Fruit Pavlova with Elderflower Cream
Preparation Time: 2 hrs
Cooking Time: 1 ½ hrs
4 egg whites
150g caster sugar
140g light brown muscovado sugar (90g for the pavlova and 50g for caramelising fruit)
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp corn flour
400ml double cream
50g icing sugar
4 tbsp Elderflower Cordial
2 apples, sliced
1 pear, sliced
30g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
60g soya margarine
Pre-heat oven to 120 ºC/250 ºF
For the meringue :
- Using a large, clean mixing bowl and an electric hand whisk, whisk the egg whites until forming soft peaks. Turn the whisk up to top speed and gradually add in the sugars, a tablespoon at a time, until all incorporated. Gently fold in the corn flour and white wine vinegar.
- Spoon the mixture on to a flat baking tray lined with baking parchment, making a circular shape about 25cm across.
- Bake in the oven for 1 ½ hrs. Turn the oven off but leave the meringue in for at least 2 hrs or overnight with the door shut - this allows the meringue to dry out properly.
For the Elderflower Cream :
- Place the cream and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat to soft peaks using an electric or hand whisk. Carefully fold in the elderflower cordial. Store in the fridge until needed.
For the Hedgerow Fruit Topping :
- Cut the pears and apples into slices and place on a baking tray, sprinkle with the remaining 50g muscovado sugar and dot with the soya margarine before placing under a hot grill for 5-10 mins until sticky and soft.
- Cover the pavlova base with the Elderflower Cream and top with the apples, pears, blackberries and raspberries. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts.
Follow the link below to find out more about how to enter. The competition ends 12pm tonight so be quick!
Other blogposts you may be interested in :