Friday 6 November 2015

#KitchenClearout : Fat Balls !


During a recent rummage in the kitchen cupboards, I came across this half-used bag of mixed seeds with a best before date of July 2013 ! Rather than throw them in the bin, I decided to help out our little feathered friends now that the weather is getting colder, especially after our recent run-in with a tiny little goldcrest (Sophie put the pictures on her blog - it whacked into the window and stunned itself then, when it had recovered, flew into the house and had Madhouse Daddy chasing it right up two flights of stairs to the loft conversion where he eventually managed to get it out of the window !)


As I'd just cooked some sausages and had the congealed fat still sitting in the frying pan, I just shook some seeds into the pan, shaped it into a ball shape with two spoons and put it in a little dish.


We haven't got a bird table so it ended up sitting on the roof of the playhouse. I didn't see any birds coming to eat it for days, but there was lots of bird poo around the dish so I assume it's a success ! We were rewarded with a visit from a friendly robin earlier in the week too, which made us feel very Christmassy !

Any ideas what I can do with the rest of the bag of seeds? It doesn't have to be foodie-themed. I'm contemplating kids' crafts or even planting them to see what comes up ! Maybe some poppies and sunflowers if we're lucky ?


Fancy having a rummage in your kitchen cupboards? Join in with the #KitchenClearout linky.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Your feathered friends will be delighted. They love seeds and fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've seen a few birds now, including blackbirds, blue tits and a cute robin, so it's definitely getting eaten !

      Delete
  2. Hi Cheryl, Over the Summer months, because our local council has an insane fortnightly waste collection policy we get a bit of a problem with maggots in the green bin at our house, but it turns out what is a problem for us is a gain for the local bird population. I know it sounds gross, but I gather up the maggots and let them pupate. Once they have done this they get added into our fat balls and the birds go mental for them! I've just done a post about the Big Garden Bird Watch, are you participating this year? http://www.littlepeckers.co.uk/blog/suet-fat-balls-for-birds/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you, it's a great idea, but I have a bit of a maggot phobia - they make my skin crawl - so there's no way I could do that - eeeek ! lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...