National Curry Week is almost here (it's 9 - 15 October) so I thought I'd share this recipe with you now so that you can buy all the ingredients you'll need in advance ! There will also be a fab giveaway (yet another one !) coming up this week where you will have the chance to win a selection of Tilda products. Watch this space !
Curry has long been a British staple and Number One Basmati brand Tilda is helping to celebrate this year’s National Curry Week (9 - 15 October) with some tasty recipes. Whether its Korma, Thai Green or Katsu you love, make sure you indulge in a spicy treat to get into the spirit.
Nothing complements a great curry better than the finest Basmati rice. Tilda contains 100% Pure Basmati and uses only the best quality grains, which creates a superior flavour and aroma. When cooked, Tilda Basmati rice is not only perfectly fluffy, but it elongates to double its size, making it great value for you and your family.
If you’d like a simple way to add a different flavour to your favourite curry dish, then why not try serving it up with one of Tilda’s Steamed Basmati rice pouches. Variants include tangy Sweet Chilli & Lime, lightly spiced Vegetable Biryani and aromatic Coconut, Chilli & Lemongrass and many more. The Pilau rice is the perfect accompaniment for more creamy dishes like Korma, whilst the Lime & Coriander can work perfectly with a Thai inspired meal.
Chicken with a Fruit Curry Sauce and Coconut Basmati Rice
Ingredients for the Chicken:
2 free range chicken breasts
1 tbsp plain flour
Salt and pepper
50g/ 2 oz salted butter
1 tsp sunflower oil
For the Coconut Basmati:
125g (4oz) Tilda Pure Basmati
150ml (1/4 pint) coconut milk
For the Coconut Basmati sauce:
50g/ 2oz butter
½ small onion, finely chopped
2 pineapple rings, drained and diced
1 small banana, cubed
1 firm apple, peeled and diced
2 tbsp medium curry powder
1tsp tbsp desiccated coconut
75ml/ 3floz chicken stock
75ml/ 3floz coconut milk
Salt and black pepper
50g/ 2oz sultanas
1. For the chicken breast into large chunks. Lightly flour and season the chicken chunks.
2. Heat half the butter and oil in a pan and cook the chicken until; golden brown, this should take about 10-12 minutes.
3. For the curry sauce: Melt half the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion, pineapple, banana and half the apple. Add the curry powder, desiccated coconut, coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Pass through a sieve to form a smooth glossy sauce.
4. Melt the remaining butter and gently cook the apples and sultanas for 5 minutes just until softened. Add to the smooth curry sauce.
5. For the coconut rice: Rinse the rice in cold water. Place into a pan and just cover with cold water. Add the coconut milk and boil for 10 minutes or until the rice is just cooked. Drain.
6. Spoon the rice onto a plate topped with the chicken and with a drizzle of sauce. Serve with a tomato and red onion salad.
Tilda Steamed Basmati and Tilda Basmati Rice is available in supermarkets and independent retailers nationwide priced from £1.69.
Visit http://www.tilda.com/ for a selection of great tasting curry recipes.
Like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/TildaRice and follow us on Twitter @Tildabasmati
Other blogposts you may be interested in :