Monday 5 September 2011

All work and no play makes Brits dull

I thought I'd share this interesting, and I have to say surprising, research into Brits and their hobbies (or lack of). I would have though blogging would have been one of the most popular hobbies but I'm probably biased ! I've been through a variety of other hobbies (that I still have on the backburner) - cross stitch, patchwork, scrapbooking, family history, ... I'm also a complete bookworm. What do people do with their time if they haven't got hobbies ?! Have any of you got interesting hobbies ?

****************************************


All work and no play makes Brits dull

What do David Beckham, Pippa Middleton, Jodie Kidd and Tyra Banks all have in common? The answer isn’t just beauty; it’s also that they’re interesting too. Recently we’ve seen David Beckham being snap happy on holiday, and posting images via twitpic. Pippa Middleton is a regular runner; Jodie Kidd enjoys racing cars and Tyra Banks side-lines in professional photography. Lots of celebrities have hobbies, but what about the rest of us?


New research from Nikon has found that only 31% of UK women have a regular hobby, most say that they just don’t have time. Psychologists believe that hobbies are good for our mental health and well-being, and with summer upon us, now is the perfect time to dust off those running shoes, or that old camera and start doing something to boost our mental strength. The celebs are all doing it, so why aren’t we?


Top hobbies people wanted to take up this summer:

· Photography topped the list (27%)
· Running (23%)
· Jewellery design (12%)
· Cooking (11%)
· Other less popular hobbies included computer games like World of Warcraft


One in four women said they would take up a hobby which would enable them to spend more time with their family. Commenting on the research, Dr Glenn Wilson, consultant psychologist said: “Women have been told they can have it all, but living up to that ideal simply isn’t possible. What’s needed is a balance. It’s clear that for those women with children being able to integrate their hobby with family commitments is extremely important. Learning a new skill and developing a talent can increase your confidence and well-being. You can even meet new friends by taking your new skill and joining a club. Taking up a hobby that you can work around your family and social commitments could be the secret to a more well-rounded lifestyle.”

The research surveyed 2,000 respondents and was conducted by LM Research during June 2011.

There were regional differences too; a table of most active regions is below.

Most active regions

% of people with hobbies

1. Edinburgh and Glasgow 41.5
2. North West 38
3. Dublin 38
4. East Midlands 37
5. North East 37
6. Birmingham 34.5

Least active regions

1. London27
2. Yorkshire 26.5
3. Wales 26.5
4. Belfast 26
5. Manchester and Liverpool 25
6. South West 24

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

3 comments:

  1. I'm a huge reader, although since having my son in March I've slowed down! I think it's long work hours to blame for lack of hobbies - my husband is up at 6.15am to get ready for work which is 8-6, then gets home at 6.30pm...just enough time to bathe & feed our son before he goes to bed, & then it's too late to want to go out & do stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting you're right! My partner has loads of hobbies - reading, running, DJIng etc.. But i didn't really have any until recently - well, when my boy was born - I am now into comping (hehe), reading books about baby development, baking and walking with the pram and dog! I do think having a baby does something to a woman - makes them pick up more maternal hobbies in order to be the best mum they can. I also work as a teacher so I can also relate to the 'all work and no play...' saying - lol x

    Thanks

    @hannahmdy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really interesting blog-post and I didn't realise just how relevant it was! There are loads of things I wish I had the time to do, but with having 3 kiddies and a husband who works full-time, I find I just don't have the time to pursue any hobbies of my own. I always try and grab some time to read every day (usually at around 10-10.30 at night so by the time the next night comes I am re-reading all the pages I read the night before as I don't take anything in as I'm just too tired!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...