Monday 5 September 2011

Saban's Power Rangers Samurai Mega Ranger review


I can remember as a kid, going to visit my male cousins and being totally at a loss when they brought out their Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Power Rangers and Transformers toys. Despite me being several years older than them, I was in awe of how quickly they transformed their Transformers and rattled off all the names and super powers of their TV heroes. Fast forward thirty years and, after bringing up two girls, I'm still on a steep learning curve with 2-year-old Pierre when it comes to all things boy-related !

When Bandai sent me through a Saban's Power Rangers Samurai Mega Ranger figure, my first thought was : hmmm he looks a bit scary ! You can't see his face so he seems strangely detached and inhuman. I can see why bank workers want customers and couriers to remove their crash helmets when they come in now ! But I guess I'm just used to girlie fairies, princesses and fashion dolls because Pierre didn't seem the slightest bit fazed when I showed it to him.

I've actually put it away for a while until Pierre's bigger (it may come back as a stocking filler for next year !) because the packaging says it's suitable for ages 4+ and it is a bit complicated for tiny figures, even if it does seem pretty sturdy and resistant.

For slightly older kids, they'll love the fact that he is fully poseable, with jointed elbows, knees, shoulders and thighs, and you have a choice of two weapons that he can use. Looking at the official blurb, it says that "each figure comes with a samurai sword and a special power weapon to fight evil".

The only thing to remember is, once you've bought one, you'll have to buy all the other colours to complete the set and make it possible to make up great stories playing with the Power Rangers figures. At £7, each model is a good pocket money/stocking filler price so it won't break the bank, even if you do buy the whole collection.


***UPDATE 27/12/11 : Pierre got his "little green man" in his stocking and loves it, as you can see in the picture. It's actually more resilient than I thought and the articulations move easily for little fingers.***
star rating : 4/5

RRP : £7


Other reviews you may be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...