Tuesday 6 March 2012

Bakestone Hot Cross Buns review


I remember going to Tesco's in the New Year and rolling my eyes at the Easter eggs that were already on the shelves. I also noticed that in some shops, you can buy Hot Cross Buns all year round now too, which seems a real shame to me as it makes them less special. I like to reserve them as a special Easter treat so I was very pleased when Bakestone sent me through some of their Hot Cross Buns to try out.

They take their Hot Cross Buns very seriously, explaining : "Bakestone prides itself on having one of the tastiest recipes around for these beautiful buns, using the best flour,sweet raisins and a blend of mildly aromatic spices. You can enjoy them sliced with lashings of butter or try toasted and spread with syrup, fresh fruit and honey or strawberry jam for an extra special sweet delight."

Well, I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Hot Cross Buns so I love mine with just butter, straight from the pack if they're fresh or lightly toasted if they've been hanging about in the bread bin and have gone a bit stale ! 

The Bakestone Hot Cross Buns are lovely and light and moist with the perfect balance of raisins and spices so they really hit the spot. I was impressed at the price too - 99p for a pack of four makes them really good value.

Bakestone also sent through some fun Hot Cross Bun facts that I thought I'd share with you !

  • Hot Cross buns were traditionally eaten at breakfast time, hot from the oven. They were once sold by street vendors who sang a little song about them : "Hot cross buns, Hot cross buns, One a penny, two a penny, Hot cross buns."
  • Hot cross buns baked on Good Friday were supposed to have magical powers. It is said that you could keep a hot cross bun which had been made on Good Friday for at least a year and it wouldn't go mouldy.
  • Hardened old hot cross buns are supposed to protect the house from fire
  • Sailors took hot cross buns to sea with them to prevent shipwreck.
  • A bun baked on Good Friday and left to get hard could be grated up and put in some warm milk to stop an upset tummy.
 Now, I may take my reviewing seriously but I draw the line at setting fire to my house to see if the Bakestone Hot Cross Buns protect it !!

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : 99p for four

 For more information on Bakestone visit www.facebook.com/bakestonebread or follow @Mr_Bakestone on Twitter.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :



12 comments:

  1. I love hot cross buns, shame our Isabelle doesn't as they have raisins...not her favourite
    @Kahanka

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hot cross buns but I must admit I only eat them at easter. Hubby loves them all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had Hot Cross Buns for tea the other night, toasted with butter, delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hot Cross Buns, such a great snack. I like them just with butter too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice seasonal post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree its a shame when shops start selling products meant for a particular time all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely review, as usual, Cheryl! I loved those buns too, very moreish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great facts about hot cross buns- i didn't know they had such a history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also think it's a shame that hot cross buns are associated with only one time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I refuse to buy Hot Cross buns until right near Good Friday - I think having them available all the time takes away their specialness. Also a lot I've tried over the year don't seem to be spicy enough, the ones I remember from my childhood weren't just teacakes with a cross on the top ;))
    I'll look out for these they sound nice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing these Hot Cross buns "facts" - very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not mind having food at the wrong time of year myself. Good food is good food, I am happy to enjoy whenever. I like the facts bit though :-) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...