Sunday 24 April 2016

Madhouse recipe : Salmon & Spinach Wellington


Gracewell of Camberley recently invited me to discover to some of the favourite recipes from their residential care homes. They explained that as well as providing delicious and nutritious food tailored to the special dietary needs of their patients, they aim to prompt favourite memories and also create new culinary experiences.


They invited me to choose one of the recipes from the booklet to recreate here at The Madhouse and after flicking through, I opted for Salmon & Spinach Wellington. There were several other dishes that appealed to me though - Butternut Squash & Chestnut Soup, Apple Strudel & Vanilla Custard, Sunshine Smoothie, Winter Beef Stew, ...

The recipe suggested making individual portions but I went for one big family-sized wellington. Individual portions would undoubtedly look prettier though ! I also replaced the fresh baby spinach with a tin of spinach that was in the cupboard and, as the Madhouse kids aren't keen on mustard, I used cream cheese instead.


 Salmon & Spinach Wellington


ingredients :

140g boneless skinless salmon fillet
400g ready made rolled puff pastry
40g fresh baby spinach
20g coarse grain mustard (I replaced this with cream cheese)
1 beaten egg


Roll out the puff pastry. Put half of the spinach in the middle section.


Top with the salmon fillets. 


Brush the salmon with mustard or smear with cream cheese, if you prefer.


Top with the remaining spinach, season with salt and pepper then bring over the two sides of the pastry to the centre. This should totally encase the salmon but I had too much filling in mine for it to fit ! Transfer to a baking tray, brush with beaten egg on top and bake for 30-40 minutes at 180° until golden brown.


I found a bag of Wholegrain Basmati & Wild Rice in the cupboard to serve with it - I wasn't sure what the Madhouse kids would think, as they usually prefer white rice, but it was all that was left, and it turns out they loved it and asked if we could swap to this rice all the time. Bonus ! 


The remainder was very nice cold with Sicilian salad the next day.

Disclosure : I received a shopping voucher to cover the cost of ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...