Saturday 9 April 2016

Madhouse recipe : Spice Crusted Chicken Fillets


Colonel Sanders is such a tease ! Decades after creating his top secret Original Recipe of 11 herbs and spices, generations of chicken lovers are still no closer to recreating the genuine article at home, even though he always claimed that the ingredients stand on everybody's shelf. When I saw a Copycat KFC recipe online, I decided to give it a try using more or less the same ingredients, based on what I already had at home. It didn't taste anything like KFC but it was very nice !

Spice Crusted Chicken Fillets

ingredients :

a pack of chicken fillets
1 cup of dried breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon black onion seeds
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic granules
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil


Put all of the herbs and spices in a bowl.


Add about a cupful of dried breadcrumbs - I didn't measure them, I just sprinkled them straight out of the box. Carefully mix it all up, making sure all of the spices are perfectly combined.


Cut the chicken into mini fillets and roll around in the spice mixture then place on a baking tray.


Bake or grill for 10-15 minutes until the juices run clear (but not too long or it will dry out). You could recreate the KFC experience by serving this with chips and BBQ beans or coleslaw, which was my original plan, but we weren't that hungry so in the end I ditched the chips and served it with just chunky homemade coleslaw. It would also be lovely in wraps or burger buns, hot or cold. I'm also tempted to prepare the chicken then freeze it so it's ready to use on a busy day.


This was a great way of having a clearout in my spice rack so I'm linking it up to #KitchenClearout.

7 comments:

  1. Must get some steak seasoning next shop. Very mouth-watering recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm the opposite - I'm trying to use up lots of ends of jars and declutter the spice rack !

      Delete
  2. Didn't realise how many spices KFC could use as well to get their unique flavour. Looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't realise how many spices KFC could use as well to get their unique flavour. Looks nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, but I still want to crack the secret blend ! lol

      Delete
  4. I haven't had a KFC chicken for ages, definitely not this century, so cannot quite remember the taste. Yours looks very appetising, love all the spices. Did you dip the chicken in the egg yolk before rolling in breadcrumbs?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...