Saturday 29 May 2010

[A'kin] Pure Rose Hydrating Facial Mist





As I mentioned on my recent review for Lovea's Moroccan Argan Brilliance Shine Shampoo, I'll be reviewing a whole host of natural and organic beauty products for mypure. Next up is [A'kin] Pure Rose Hydrating Facial Mist.

I had already heard of the luxury organic Australian beauty brand [A'kin] but had never tried their products so I was really looking forward to testing some of their goodies. I had high expectations of the company, especially after reading the write-up on mypure. "All [A'kin] products are ingredient-rich, vegan, and use certified organic ingredients where possible, they have been formulated without animal ingredients or animal testing. [A'kin] products are certified vegan by the Australian Vegan Society. They are also halal certified." Yet again, as with Lovea, mypure were the first to bring [A'kin] to Britain, back in 2004.

Although I liked the idea of the product, I wasn't totally convinced it would work in practice. "Spray over your face and body to instantly refresh and hydrate your skin, use throughout the day when your skin feels dehydrated, flushed or heated. Can be used over makeup and helps control shine. Great for dry environments, air conditioned offices and long flights. Remember to close your eyes when spraying the mist on your face !" Hmmm surely if you spray a mist all over your face, it will just make you get panda eyes from your mascara and make your foundation slide off your chin, won't it ?! Definitely one I am not going to try when I don't have a mirror to hand !

Well, I gave it a go in my bathroom (minus makeup) and was really surprised. It feels like a cooling mist of ultrafine raindrops but leaves your skin bone dry. I rubbed my fingers over my face in amazement seconds after spraying and there was no moisture at all and no sticky or greasy residue. Just a lovely lingering sensation of coolness and a gorgeous smell of roses.

I decided I had the perfect time to try it out on Tuesday lunchtimes. I finish class at my first school at five past twelve, finally getting to leave the building (especially if, as is often the case, the kids have been playing up and I have to keep them in after the bell for a few minutes !) around quarter past twelve. I then have a very brisk ten-minute walk to my other school, munching a quick lunch on the way, leaving me twenty minutes to deal with photocopies and paperwork before afternoon lessons begin. Now that the warmer weather has arrived, I now usually arrive either red-cheeked or sweaty-faced - not a good look for heading into the classroom !

So last week, I popped the [A'kin] Facial Mist in my bag and pulled out my secret weapon seconds before arriving at the school gates. An instant sensation of coolness and freshness, a nice relaxing smell of roses and I was ready to face the world (or at least a classroom full of spotty teenagers !).
In the summertime, I have occasionally bought the spray cans of pure water, made by Evian for example, to spray a fine mist of cooling, hydrating water droplets over the kids. They are lovely and refreshing but do leave your face dripping wet - the proof being that the kids invariably open their mouths for a drink ! - so there is no way you could use them over makeup and you need a towel or tissue handy to mop up the excess water. The [A'kin] Facial Mist is a much more discreet and work-friendly version.

I adore the exotic names of the natural ingredients : "Australian Bush Flower Essences, old man banksia, dog rose and tall mulla mulla are used in this mist as well as aloe barbadensis leaf juice to calm skin, and vitamins B5 to soothe skin." I found the name of one of the ingredients, hyaluronic acid, vaguely worrying as any sort of acid doesn't sound skin-friendly, but apparently names can be deceiving and it's good for you ! "Akin Hydrating Rose Mist is formulated using sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), one of the latest discoveries in natural skin care. Sodium hyaluronate is a key water maintaining component in our skin. Modern living and ageing can cause a decrease in this vital skin boosting ingredient, and as a result the water maintaining ability of the skin is weakened." Well that's me told then !

The only thing that may not appeal to some people is the fragrance - it smells very strongly of roses, so it's definitely one for the girls ! Personally, I like the scent because it smells natural, of real crushed rose petals, unlike synthetic rose fragrances which can often be sickeningly sweet or headachey.
This is definitely going to be a permanent fixture in my school bag until the end of term, then it will be great for keeping fresh and cool in the summertime.

star rating : 4.5/5
RRP : £12.99 for 125ml
for more information : http://www.mypure.code.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...