Wednesday 16 March 2011

Douwe Egberts Aromettes

Sometimes, when I'm asked to review certain products, I wonder how I'm going to manage to write a review and make it interesting. Coffee is one of those things. After all, people have been drinking coffee for so long, how could the manufacturers come up with something new ? Well, those clever people at Douwe Egberts have certainly gone and done it !


When they asked me to review their new Aromettes, I wasn't sure what to expect but it certainly wasn't this. As you can see from the picture above, they've taken ground coffee and pressed it into individual servings in the shape of a coffee bean. How fantastic is that ?! In this day and age where kids are so used to eating pre-prepared ready meals that they don't recognise fruit and vegetables, it would be great to do this with everything and create food whose shape represents its ingredients. We could have pig-shaped sausages, cow-shaped burgers and chicken-shaped nuggets ! You may laugh but I remember eating fish-shaped fishcakes when I was a kid !




Anyway, back to the Aromettes ! Each bean contains enough coffee for one cup so you just throw one bean per person into your filter machine or cafetière, add hot water, wait a few minutes and away you go. No more fiddly measuring of coffee and above all, no more coffee grounds spilt next to the machine !

I did wonder if the bean would break up and release the flavour properly but I needn't have worried at all because it "dissolves" as soon as you add the water. It actually makes a really nice cup of coffee and loses nothing at all (apart from mess and extra work) compared to normal ground coffee.

You have a choice of two strengths, either "smooth aroma" (strength 3) or "intense aroma" (strength 5), depending on your mood. Each tin, which is resealable to keep the contents nice and fresh, contains 30 bean-shaped servings.

Up until now, you've had the choice between instant coffee (for the convenience) or filter coffee (for the taste). Well, Douwe Egberts have just created the concept of fuss-free instant filter coffee. What's not to like ?!

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £3.69 for 30 beans


Other reviews you may be interested in :

6 comments:

  1. Fab review - really good.
    I'm totally bonkers for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting product - my hubby would like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these sould really interesting, might need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got sent a sample of these and I think they were superb!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...