Friday 1 July 2011

Patak's Bengal Pickle review


As soon as you say the word pickle, the chances are that the first name that comes to mind will be Branston, so it made me smile when I saw the packaging for the bottle of Bengal Pickle that Patak's kindly sent me to review because the colours are very similar. And to be fair, it is actually a similar product by nature, perfect for squirting on the side of your plate if you're having a Ploughman's for lunch, for accompanying cold or hot meats or adding to cheese or ham sandwiches to give them a bit of a zing.

As you'd expect, given the name and the brand (Patak's), this is an Indian-inspired version of pickle though, and it's got a bit of a kick. It's classed as medium on the chilli rating and will give you a nice warming tingle on your lips and tongue without setting your mouth on fire.

It's very versatile and can be eaten as it is on the side of the plate, spread into sandwiches or used as an ingredient for cooking. I'm sure there are absolutely hundreds of ways of using it but I've tried it mixed into mashed potato, mixed with grated cheese as a baked potato topping, added to cheese on toast, mixed into guacamole and blended with mayonnaise to make a vegetable dip, all of which are delicious.

The ingredients list includes aubergine, sugar, green chilli, coriander, cracked mustard seed, spices, paprika, garlic and fenugreek, there are no  artificial colours and flavours and it's suitable for vegetarians. It's tangy and fruity and really brings out the flavours, adding some kick and exoticism to your food without overpowering the taste.

The squeezy bottle is really handy too and the lid and valve are mess-free. I'll definitely be buying this regularly, as a table condiment and sandwich-enhancer !


star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £1.89 for 355g


Other blogposts you may be interested in :

6 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious! I definitely think I'm going to try some. Thanks.
    @maisietoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickle is a HUGE favourite in my house so I think we will have to try this, great review, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son is obsessed at the moment with reggae reggae sauce and sweet chilli sauce .. yes he likes a bit of spice so i think i may have to put this on my shopping list for a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pickle in sandwiches so will be trying some. It sounds very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love pickles so will definitely buy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't beat a cheese and pickle sandwich, so I will have to try this

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...