October 11th is the first ever Day of the Girl, which aims to highlight, celebrate and raise awareness of the various issues that girls around the world face – in particular early forced marriage. Girls as young as 5 years of age are sometimes forced into marriage and one in seven marries before they reach the age of 15. Being a mum of two girls aged 7 and 11, I find these figures horrendous.
Ultimately this destroys girls’ youth, education and independence. Plan UK’s campaign will support four million girls to get the education, skills and support they need to move themselves from poverty to opportunity. Plan UK are looking to build awareness of these issues through a series of short films, alongside their petition. You can see their film about Child Marriage below :
How can you help spread the message ?
You can show your support by sharing one of these posts with your Facebook fans and friends:
- “October 11th is the first ever International Day of the Girl. It will support over 4 million girls facing poverty and forced marriage issues. Sign the petition to support Plan UK and check out their inspiring short films here http://ow.ly/ef6Rh”
- Support Plan UK and International Day of the Girl - Sign their petition to the United Nations and help millions of girls around the worldhttp://ow.ly/ef6OG
Send some tweets to your followers. Examples include:
- Celebrate International #DayoftheGirl 11th October and sign the @planUk petition http://ow.ly/ef6OG
- Inspiring videos on forced marriage by @planUK http://ow.ly/ef6Rh Support their campaign and sign the petition http://ow.ly/ef6OG
- Forced marriage affects over 4 million young girls http://ow.ly/ef6Rh Help by signing the petition http://ow.ly/ef6OG #DayoftheGirl
Any help you can give brings Plan UK one step closer to transforming girls' lives and helps to fight for girls’ rights to an education.
Other blogposts you may be interested in :