Saturday 13 June 2015

Getting ready to walk - and eat - like an Egyptian !


This month's Kitchen Trotter box has arrived and it will be whisking us off to the land of the pyramids, the sphinx and the pharoahs - in other words, Egypt. I tried to think of traditional Egyptian recipes and ingredients and came up with a big fat zilch - time to see what delights are hidden in the kit !


The first thing I pulled out was a box of date paste (which actually comes from Algeria, but never mind !)


On the left, split fava beans and on the right, Egyptian-style grilled chick peas.


I also found Dukkah, a mixture of crushed walnuts and spices; Molokheya, the powdered form of a spinach-like plant; Taamia spices; dried hibiscus flowers; and, this month's gadget, a Nakache pastry crimper.

Hmmm, I'm intrigued to see what I'll be cooking up with this little lot. Time to investigate !


For the starter, Taamias (Egyptian falafel) and Aishe Batte & Dukkah Bread


The main course is Chicken with Egyptian Molokheya


Kahk (Egyptian Shortbread) for dessert


And to help wash it all down, Karkadeh, made with hibiscus flowers.

I was expecting classic Middle Eastern flavours so I was really pleased to see that I don't recognise any of the ingredients or recipes in this month's box - just the way I like it !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

1 comment:

  1. Those spices look very interesting, haven't tried them before. Looking forward to seeing how you use them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...