Thursday 18 June 2015

Globecooking recipe : Greek Style Red Mullet with Olive Cream & Asparagus (Greece)


This recipe, from my Greek-themed Kitchen Trotter box, took me slightly out of my comfort zone because it was the first time I'd eaten fresh asparagus (I've only ever had it from a jar before, which just isn't the same) and also the first time I've cooked or eaten red mullet. I'm pleased to say, both were very nice.

Greek Style Red Mullet with Olive Cream & Asparagus


ingredients :

8 red mullet fillets
2tbsp olive oil
16 olives (preferably black but I only had green left)
25g salted grilled peanuts
500g cherry tomatoes
a sprig of mountain oregano
a bunch of asparagus (preferably green but white will do)
150g Greek yogurt
50g Kalamata olive puree
salt/pepper
butter



This was my first time cooking red mullet. I love the colour but much of it is lost during cooking when the skin sticks to the pan. It has quite a tough texture, almost more like seafood than fish.


The first thing to do is to mix the olive puree with the Greek yogurt in a small saucepan, season with salt and pepper and reserve.


Boil the asparagus in salted water for about ten minutes until it is soft when you stab a sharp knife into it but still firm. Refresh in cold water, drain and dry, then braise it in a large knob of butter with a sprig of oregano on top. 


Fry the red mullet in the olive oil, skin side down then flipped over for just a couple of seconds. Sprinkle the skin side with salt,pepper and oregano.


Halve the olives, cherry tomatoes and peanuts. Gently heat the olive puree and yogurt mixture, spoon some on to the plate and smear around half the plate with the back of a spoon. Serve the asparagus on top, put the red mullet next to it and scatter the cherry tomatoes, olives and peanuts on top.

It's a lovely mixture of flavours and textures - according to my Kitchen Trotter recipe, you could also replace the fish with chicken breast.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 


Modern Dad Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...