Wednesday 7 December 2011

Baileys Biscotti review


When I first saw people mentioning Baileys Biscotti on twitter and facebook, I wrongly thought it was going to be a new brand of biscuits with the flavour of Baileys (which, incidentally, I would definitely have bought, so come on all you biscuit makers, get your thinking caps on !). It is in fact a new Italian-inspired twist on the original Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur so I was over the moon to be sent a bottle to try out as Baileys is my favourite tipple, especially at Christmas time.

If you're wondering what biscotti are, they're traditional double baked Italian biscuits. Wikipedia explains : "Biscotti ( /bɪˈskɒti/; Italian pronunciation: [bisˈkɔtti]) more correctly known as biscotti di Prato (English: Prato biscuits), also known as cantuccini (English: nooks), are twice-baked biscuits originating in the Italian city of Prato. The biscuits are oblong-shaped almond biscuits, made dry and crunchy through cutting the loaf of dough while still hot and fresh from baking in the oven. [...]Today the regional variations of the original are still adhered to, but the modern mass-manufactured biscotti are in actual fact closer to cantuccini, variations of biscotti. Resultantly, modern biscotti recipes often contain nuts (traditional almonds plus hazelnuts, pistachios, and pine nuts are popular choices) or spices such as anise or cinnamon." So would this new biscuity flavour complement the taste of Baileys ? On to the taste-testing to find out.

I'm always worried about trying new versions of products that I already absolutely love - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right ?! - but I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I actually love the Biscotti Baileys as much as the original. It has the same smooth velvety creaminess as it goes down, a very slight warmth from the whisky, and the flavour of almond biscuits coming through the usual Baileys flavours adds a delicious and unexpected topnote.

Baileys recommend serving this over ice, but I actually prefer mine without because it seems creamier and more warming as you drink it. They also recommend adding a grating of orange zest over the top as a garnish, which would be perfect for a sophisticated Christmas tipple.

It turns out that my idea of creating Baileys-flavoured biscuits wasn't a bad one at all. Over on the BaileysGB facebook page, they are giving away boxes of Baileys cupcakes but today is the last day so you'll have to get in quick if you want to try your luck ! (I can never get the page to come up so sadly, I have totally missed out on this one !)

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £14.95 for 70cl, 20.86 for 1 litre





Other reviews you may be interested in :

2 comments:

  1. I have also tried the Biscotti one and liked it. I haven't compared with the Original at the same time, but I would say they are similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got a sample of this and thought it was really nice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...