Thursday 14 April 2016

Globecooking recipe : Cheeseburger Pie (USA)


Last year, for Independence Day, we received a lovely selection of US groceries from Ocado. We've still got about half a bottle of yellow mustard left, but everything else is long gone ... except for the box of Bisquik because I had no idea what to do with it. I uncovered it on a recent #KitchenClearout stockcheck and decided it was time to investigate recipes. It's basically flour and on the box, there are recipes for waffles, pancakes and shortbread but when I went googling, I found a savoury recipe for Cheeseburger Pie. The Cheeseburger Macaroni that I made last week was a big hit so I thought I'd give it a try. It's basically a cheesy minced beef quiche and it got a mixed reception - Juliette absolutely loved it but Pierre and Juliette weren't overly keen. The grown-ups thought it was OK but a bit bland.


Cheeseburger Pie

Ingredients

500g minced beef
1 large onion, chopped 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated cheese or some cheeseburger cheese slices
1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 180°.


Cook the mince and onions in a frying pan until it's browned all the way through. It may not be very cheeseburger-like but I also added some garlic and mushrooms. Green and red peppers would work well too. Season with salt and any other herbs and spices you may wish - I used smoked paprika, garlic pepper and a dash of oregano. Pour into an ovenproof dish.


Whisk together the milk, eggs and Bisquick. Pour into the dish with the mince. Tilt the dish a few times so it runs into all the gaps.


Top with grated cheese or cheese slices - I went for a patchwork effect with cheeseburger cheese and croque monsieur cheese.


Bake for about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.


I had some leftover baked potatoes (I always throw half a dozen in the bottom of the oven with the Sunday roast to use up over the next couple of days) so I went for spicy wedges to go with it, but it would also go well with salad or even pasta or rice.

It's OK but I'd call it a work in progress and would jazz it up with extra herbs and spices next time, as well as extra ingredients - maybe some peppers, chorizo, cherry tomatoes. Using real cheddar rather than what I call fake plastic cheese may help give it a bit more oomph too !


Yay, I finally made some headway into my box of Bisquick ! Linking up to #KitchenClearout because it's been lingering in the cupboard for months !

2 comments:

  1. I've seen Bisquick around, but not sure if I ever cooked anything with it. I like to add a grated raw potato to beef mince to make it less solid-meaty. Mushrooms and garlic are a lovely addition. Kudos to you for inventing what to do with Bisquick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take any credit for this one, it comes straight from Betty Crocker (who makes Bisquick) !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...