Monday 18 April 2016

Madhouse recipe : Chocolate Filled Banana Muffins


After doing the weekly shop, I like to have a clear out of the old fruit and veg before refilling the fridge and fruit bowl with the new buys. This week I discovered five bananas in the fruit bowl that had gone brown. They're still perfect on the inside - in fact, this is how I like bananas best - but the Madhouse kids usually ignore them once they've stopped being yellow. I sometimes wonder if it's a clever ploy to make me make banana bread. It could well be, because it worked again! This time, I went for individual banana muffins with a liquid chocolate filling - yum !

 Chocolate Filled Banana Muffins

ingredients :

4 or 5 very ripe bananas
2 eggs
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 & a half cups flour
1tsp baking powder
a splash of vanilla essence
Dr Oetker Cup Cake Centres (or chocolate icing/nutella)


Mash up the bananas. I always want to dive in with a fork at this point because it's the ultimate childhood comfort food - whenever I was feeling ill and off my food as a child, I'd always end up with a mashed banana being offered !


Cream together the margarine and sugar.


Add the bananas to the margarine/sugar and crack in the eggs. Mix it all up (don't worry if it curdles at this point) and then add the flour, baking powder, vanilla essence and salt. 


Give it all a stir until it's combined. It will stay quite runny but thick.


Pour into muffin tins or silicon muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180°.


Leave to cool slightly so you can handle them, but they are still warm. The Cupcake Centres, which I received in a baking kit, are a genius idea. It's a pouch with a nozzle that you push into the cupcake then squeeze so the liquid chocolate filling comes out. It would be more filddly but you could achieve the same thing with a piping bag and Nutella or melted chocolate.


The banana muffins are already delicious but the chocolate centre just takes them to another level.


Now that's what I call a chocolate banana muffin !

Link up your recipe of the week

2 comments:

  1. Super banana muffins! Add chocolate, and I'm in heaven! Super idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...