Saturday 13 November 2010

My Butterfly Toy Jars


 What ever happened to butterfly nets ? When I was a kid in the seventies, everyone had one. We used to run around the garden catching butterflies (well, trying to anyway - most of them managed to escaped the net !), ooh and aah over their pretty colours, identify them in the I Spy Butterflies book and tick them off then let them go again. They were also brilliant for tadpoling in the springtime !

Nobody seems to go butterfly hunting any more. Maybe it's seen as cruel and unethical or maybe kids would rather get their exercise jumping about in front of the Wii instead of running around in the fresh air chasing butterflies, but either way, it seems to have gone out of fashion. (Although, the Liv It's My Nature Hayden doll that we reviewed a few weeks ago is equipped for butterfly hunting so maybe it will start being popular again !)


But that just makes these butterflies in a jar even more mesmerising and fascinating for modern kids who probably haven't ever properly seen the real thing up close. I hasten to add that they're not the real thing, before you call out the Animal Welfare people on me, but they are the next best thing because they look so realistic. All you have to do is tap on the top of the jar and the butterfly flutters around in the jar for 90 seconds. Alternatively, as the girls have discovered to their delight, if you shout at it or put on loud music, that usually starts it flying around by itself. Very Harry Potter ! Cue fits of giggles !

 

You can choose from four colours and breeds of butterflies - Orange Monarch, Yellow Swallowtail, Blue Morpho and Pink Morpho. I love the fact that they represent real butterflies with the scientifically correct markings and names so that your kids can actually learn while they play. I also love the fact that they've thought about making these kid-friendly and let you choose between a glass or plastic jar. The plastic jar is designed for children and has a silver metal lid with 'My Pet Butterfly' on it, whilst the glass jar has a gold metal lid with 'My Butterfly'.

You'll need 3 x AAA batteries but these are included. The butterfly goes into automatic standby so there is no need for a power button. That also makes it much more realistic because if you leave it on a shelf, if you make a loud noise it will "wake up" all by itself and start flapping around the jar ! Guaranteed to make you jump !

The butterfly jars are tipped to be a great seller this Christmas and they make a lovely relaxing change to the usual noisy, flashing, headachey electronic gadgets that your kids will get in their stockings ! They are suitable for kids aged 4+ but I have to admit, even as an adult, I can't resist tapping on the lid every time I walk past. Now, where did I put my I-Spy Butterflies book ?!

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £19.99


Other reviews you may be interested in :

2 comments:

  1. A really unusual novelty gift, I love them,
    The butterflies are so low now and a lot endangered in the UK, I reckon they stopped the sale of nets, I used to catch them in summer as a child, I never hurt them just used to look more closely.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on using these as part of my wedding decor. I like the concept, but I don't know if I would actually trap real butterflies in a jar. Seems a little cruel, don't you think? I think of all those fireflies we used to catch at my grandma's house--and thought about how many of them probably suffocated to death for my magical childhood. Sad...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...