Monday 29 November 2010

Target energy drinks


I've always thought of energy drinks as being really unhealthy things. I think it all started when I was cramming for A levels and horror stories started circulating around the sixth form about people taking Pro Plus caffeine tablets to keep themselves going in last minute all-nighter revision sessions then falling alseep mid-exam when the effects suddenly wore off. I still to this day don't know if there was any truth to the stories or if it was just an urban legend but I decided there and then to give them a very wide berth.

Then energy drinks became big news - I still steered clear but when big names like Lucozade jumped on the bandwagon, I started thinking they couldn't be all bad. I still wag a stern warning finger at the kids at school when I see them bringing Red Bull in their school bags though !

But when Target sent me one of their energy shots to try out, I was gobsmacked. They actually sound really healthy ! The first thing that impressed me was that they're sugar-free and each 60ml shot only contains 4 calories, compared to 28g of sugar and 112 calories in a typical 250ml energy drink. The label promises "No carbs, no sugar, no crash".

According to the website, you should "drink one half  bottle (one ounce) for moderate energy. Drink one whole bottle (two ounces) for maximum energy. Do not exceed two bottles of Target Energy shots daily, consumed several hours apart." They also give you the warning, "Contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Limit caffeine products to avoid nervousness, sleeplessness, and occasional rapid heartbeat. You may experience a Niacin Flush (hot feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. This is caused by Niacin (Vitamin B3) increasing blood flow near the skin. Do not take if you are pregnant or nursing, or under 12 years of age."

But that's all the bad stuff. The rest seems really positive. "Target Energy contains a blend of B-vitamins, amino acids and essential nutrients. It contains zero sugar, zero herbal stimulants and only four calories. Target Original Energy contains as much caffeine as a cup of premium coffee. So no matter if you're a Student or a Doctor, a full-time or part time worker or a long distance lorry driver get the more out of your life with 'Target Life Original' (and it's small enough to pop in your pocket, purse or glove compartment!)".


Target proclaim : "You don't need energy drinks, you just need Energy! Target Energy shots pack a punch to Target Tiredness Fast. What more could you want? Target believes you should have a choice, to explore and express your personality, that's why we give you a range of flavours. One for every occasion!"

You have four colours and flavours to choose from : Life (Original - blue bottle - berry flavour), Gorgeous (Fruit - pink bottle), Sport (Citrus -white bottle) and Urban (Xtra Strength - black bottle - cherry flavour).

I tried the Urban one and just took a little sip throughout the day when I needed a little pick me up. It was enough to give me a quick lift without me feeling as high as a kite or overly "buzzy" and, all importantly, didn't stop me from getting a good night's sleep at the end of the day. It tastes pleasant too and I love the small-sized bottle which is perfect for stashing in your handbag or office drawer.

I lust admit, it's made me see energy drinks in a whole new and more positive light. I love the fact that it provides you with vitamin B, especially as recent reports have even suggested that high doses of vitamin B can help reduce brain shrinkage ! I'm getting too close to forty for that not to be an element to take into consideration now !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £1.79

Other reviews you may be interested in :


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...