Wednesday 28 August 2013

Tideford Organics Pea & Mint Soup review



You may have noticed my review of Tideford's Organic Spicy Butternut Squash Soup earlier in the week. Having successfully cooked a pot from frozen when we got home, tired and hungry, from the airport after Morocco, we decided to repeat the experience when we got home from our 8 hour drive back home from Brittany. This time we tried the Pea & Mint soup.

The description on the website says : "This classic summer soup is bursting with simple ingredients. The perfect combination of organic peas, mint and a dash of organic double cream. Ideal for any summer's day." 

I must admit, I wasn't 100% convinced when I pulled it out of the freezer. It sounded a bit bland to me, and - although I know many people buy minted peas - I wasn't sure that the two flavours would work together. Well, I stand corrected. It was gorgeous.

Unfortunately, my camera battery was totally flat so I didn't get a photo but if you can imagine a mixture of mushy peas, whole peas and water, that will give you a vague idea. Admittedly, that doesn't sound very appetising but trust me, it works ! It has a nice flavour but I couldn't actually detect any undertones of mint at all - maybe my tastebuds have been desensitised by the strong mint tea in Morocco !

As Madhouse Daddy is a bit of a carnivore and pulls a funny face if I serve him something with no meat in it at all, I added the last couple of slices of ham that were in the fridge and needed using up. Cut into large chunks, this added a nice texture and extra flavour to the soup (and, as I'd mistakenly told him it was Pea & Ham when I got it out of the freezer, he was none the wiser and thought it was the original recipe !)

The soups are available in two sizes - 600g or 300g. The 600g size which we had provides two servings. 100g of soup contains 37 calories, 4.2g of carbs (of which 2.3g sugars), 1.6g of fat (of which 0.6g saturates) and 1.3g of fibre. 

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £1.89 for 300g, £2.89 for 600g

for more information : http://www.tidefordorganics.com/

Disclosure : We received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Next global cooking destination : Lebanon

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...