Friday 9 August 2013

Tilda Brown Basmati Microwavable Pouch review


As you read this post, I am miles away, sitting by the pool or sipping a cocktail at the beach in Morocco ! But at the time of writing, I was in the middle of my pre-holiday must-use-everything-in-the-fridge mode. I found my perfect ally in this pouch of Tilda Brown Basmati Microwaveable Rice.


The first step was to go rooting around in the fridge. I came up with a packet of bacon, half a red pepper, some onions and garlic, half a tin of chopped plum tomatoes, a few mushrooms and some round courgettes. I already had a plan formulating so I scooped out the flesh of the courgettes and fried it, along with all the ingredients listed above. This was going to be the filling for my stuffed courgettes, but the mushrooms, courgette flesh and tomatoes gave out a lot of liquid and made it all too sloppy.


I heated the pouch of rice in the microwave for 2 minutes then added it to the mix. It soaked up all the excess liquid, along with the scrummy flavours, and made the perfect courgette filling.


There was too much rice mixture to go in the courgettes so that was lunch the next day - two meals for the price of one ! 

I wasn't sure what we'd think of brown basmati to be honest, as we usually buy the white variety, but it's much nicer than I expected. I was expecting a coarser texture but Madhouse Daddy didn't even notice the difference, so that's a great way of getting some extra fibre into your diet with zero effort.

A half packet serving contains 170 calories, 2.6g of fat (of which 0.8g saturates), 32.1g of carbs and 2.9g of fibre. The rice only takes 2 minutes to prepare in the microwave or 4 minutes stir fried.

RRP : £1.59 for 250g (but currently on promotion for £1 at ASDA, Waitrose and Tesco)


Disclosure : I received a pouch of Tilda Brown Basmati Rice in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...