Monday 18 March 2013

Use up your leftovers ! : Egg Fried Rice recipe


On Monday evenings, I usually have a Tupperware box (well, a recycled ice cream tub actually !) in the fridge full of leftovers from the Sunday roast to use up. It usually ends up being made into a pie or a curry or just all warmed up in some gravy, but today I'd decided to do something different and make some Egg Fried Rice. I planned ahead by serving rice in place of the usual roast potatoes yesterday and made sure I had plenty left over.


First, I chopped up the leftover roast chicken into bite-sized pieces, added some fresh mushrooms and fried it all in a drizzle of olive oil.


I got the Madhouse Mini-testers on pea-shelling duty (which they always get excited about !) and added the fresh peas from our veg box.


After a few minutes of stir-frying, I added the leftover cooked rice and vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots).


I poured in a good glug of soy sauce (I used the Amoy Special Selection soy sauce that I reviewed a couple of weeks ago).


Now this is where I wasn't sure what to do. I googled egg fried rice and the general concensus seemed to be add an egg, stir it with a chopstick, let it start to set then mix it into the rice. I did this but the egg just seemed to totally disappear. So I tried again and this time, let the egg set a bit more. But it still totally disappeared - I was expecting little strips of omelette-like egg mixed in with the rice but maybe that's not how it's supposed to be?


It tasted absolutely lovely though and is definitely a great new way of using up Sunday roast leftovers that I will be trying again.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


Colman's Season & Steam Mixed Herb Vegetables review



2 comments:

  1. I make a separate omelette with mine, that works better. Lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funnily enough, that was what I initially planned to do, before googling to check the proper recipe ! I'll do that next time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...