Tuesday 12 March 2013

ROAR Porridge Pod review


There are several ways of making porridge - the proper old-fashioned way in a saucepan on the hob or, the way I usually use, in the microwave (I stand next to it watching through the microwave door giggling with Sophie as we play chicken, seeing how long we wait as the porridge rises ominously close to the top of the bowl before opening the door so it sinks back down to a safe level !). When I discovered a ROAR Porridge Pod in my Breakfast Week hamper, this was a new one for me though - it's instant porridge, you just add boiling water and stir.


Inside the waxed paper pot, you get a fairly small portion of porridge and a little sachet of honey to sweeten it. I had the Apple & Fig variety and you can see the little pieces of dried fruit in the porridge, waiting to be rehydrated. You can also get Raspberry & Pomegranate or Pure With Seeds flavours too.


As I flicked on the kettle, I looked at the packaging and noticed that they have a handy guide on the pot to show you how much water to add, depending on how thick or runny you like your porridge. 


I went for "lusciously thick" and it was actually a bit too thick - I could easily have headed back to the kitchen and added a bit more water though. You just pour in the water, stir and let it sit for 3 minutes.


I think these are a really good idea for snacking at work or maybe on a camping trip. I also love the fact that you don't have to try to wash up a bowl and spoon where porridge has dried like glue. I did think that flavourwise, it didn't pack quite as much of a punch as my usual brand, but that could be down to the fact that there is no added sugar. The pod contains just steamed rolled oats, added oatbran, organic milk from the west country and real fruit - there are no added refined sugars, chemical preservatives or salt.

They do work out a lot more expensive than other porridge formats but if you need a convenient healthy breakfast that you can enjoy at your desk or anywhere else with a kettle at hand, they're ideal.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £12.99 for a box of 6

for more information : http://www.roarmuesli.co.uk

Disclosure : I received a ROAR Porridge Pod in the hamper that was sent through for National Breakfast Week.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


2 comments:

  1. The flavourings sound nice and this would be great for one of those get up and go mornings when you eat breakfast on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very expensive! but great for on the go

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...