Monday 4 March 2013

Maggi So Juicy Sticky BBQ Chicken review


I tried out another of the Maggi So Juicy sachets from my Bzz kit this week, after sampling the Mixed Herbs for Chicken variety last week. I decided to try the Sticky BBQ for Chicken seasoning, and while I knew it would be a hit with the grown-ups, I wasn't sure what sort of reception it would get from the Madhouse Mini-testers. BBQ sauce is a bit like curry - sometimes it's very mild but sometimes it's got a real kick and you can never be sure how spicy it will be until you taste it.


The sachet says it has enough for 8 drumsticks but I used 4 chicken thighs again, as it worked last time. Just pop the chicken in the bag, add the seasoning, seal it with the plastic tie and put it in the oven to cook.


Now, usually, I use these sorts of bag & bake affairs for our evening meal but, as me and the kids were all on holiday, I decided to use it for lunch which meant that I was working to a tighter deadline because Madhouse Daddy Mike only had a short lunch hour. This means that I found the design flaw with these types of products. There's no way of checking the chicken is cooked right through without removing it from the bag. I left it in the oven for 45 minutes and it all LOOKED cooked through.


But when I tipped it out of the bag, although the seasoning had created a lovely sticky glaze, the juices didn't run clear when I stabbed the chicken. I therefore had to finish it off in the oven without the bag. This is the first time I've had this problem though, it's never been an issue before and it didn't detract from the final meal which still tasted lovely.


After another 20 minutes in the oven, it was ready and we all tucked into gorgeous sticky barbecue chicken, hash browns and homemade coleslaw. The seasoning has a nice smoky flavour that wasn't spicy at all so it didn't put the Madhouse Mini-testers off.

If you haven't got many herbs and spices available to use or if you want something that is quick to prepare, it's a really convenient option.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : 98p


Disclosure : As a Bzz agent, I receive free products to try, as well as samples and money-off vouchers to hand out to friends, in order to spread the word and share my honest opinions.


Other reviews you may be interested in :

Maggi So Juicy Mixed Herbs for Chicken review



6 comments:

  1. I've been trying to get my husband to try these for ages, but he never seems keen, hopefully this will convince him, ta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used this packet for spare ribs it works really well

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried this for first time last week. I used chicken drumsticks and cooked them for 60 minutes. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you cut the chicken thighs from the drumstick, I'll cook faster than if you leave it intact. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it since and just left them in for longer too - it worked fine the second time :)

      Delete
  5. I tried this and it was not nice at all was really bland and I was disappointed

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...