Wednesday 13 March 2013

Midweek recipe : Spicy Chicken-Stuffed Round Courgettes


You've probably noticed from my weekly posts on Sundays that we've recently subscribed to a fruit and veg box. I love discovering new (to us) fruit and veg and finding exciting ways of eating them. Last week, we discovered round courgettes, which look like mini marrows. I asked my online cookery guru (Galina from Chez Maximka - you definitely need to go and check out her fab recipes !) what she does with them and she said you can stuff them with mince or rice, so that was my starting point for the recipe.


First, I scooped out the flesh from the inside of the round courgettes and chopped it into small pieces. I added a finely chopped onion and gently fried it in a tiny drizzle of olive oil.



I had ideas of adding bacon lardons and mushrooms (from the cauliflower cheese I was making at the same time) or possibly a mixture of rice and bacon jam, but in the end, I discovered some cooked chicken in the fridge that needed using up so I went with that.


I squished the spicy chicken mix back inside the courgettes.



I sprinkled some cheese over the top. (I had planned on putting the courgette lids back on but Madhouse Daddy Mike came in to the kitchen and started tidying up behind me and threw them in the bin - grrr !)


 I served them with some cauliflower cheese but they'd work well with rice too. They're actually very tasty and this is something I will definitely make again, maybe with normal courgettes, peppers or tomatoes. It's a great way of using up leftover cooked meat too.


The Diary of a Frugal Family

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


Vegetarian recipe : Cheesy Leek Glamorgan Sausages



6 comments:

  1. Oooo that looks yummy. I always end up growing humungous courgettes in the summer, and now i have a fab recipe to use with them. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thank you for your kind words, darling. I am blushing.But you are a very creative cook yourself, and always come up with fab ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bookmarked this recipe for when we have a glut of courgettes from our garden. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this, i eat marrows sometimes so this whouldnt be too far a step..nice take on it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look tasty, I'm going to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The word modern word perfume, nevertheless, comes from the Latin phrase per fumus, meaning "through smoke," and that gives a
    hint to the beginning of perfume. Sometimes, you will also
    have the chance of choosing the color the perfume will be, but
    not always. There is a base note, middle note, top
    note and bridge note.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site Sensible perfume Secrets - For Adults

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...