Rangemaster have designed the perfect recipe for cooking with your little ones – their scrumptious and indulgent Chocolate Malteser cake. It’s a simple hands on recipe, and kids will no doubt enjoy getting messy with the batter and decorating with Maltesers!
They also point out that Rangemaster makes for the perfect cooker when baking with children. Their innovative induction hobs offer one of the safest and most efficient methods of cooking available, plus a special L1 hob setting creates a constant temperature to gently melt chocolate – no bain marie required! Induction cooking works by directly heating the pan itself rather than the surface, which keeps the hob cooler and less hazardous in the family kitchen. A child lock feature is also useful when whipping up treats with young children.
We don't have a Rangemaster but I think we may have to give this recipe a try - yum !
Chocolate Malteser cake
250g self raising flour
250g soft brown sugar
50 g cocoa powder
250 g plain chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
4 eggs, lightly beaten
For the icing: 400g plain or milk chocolate
284ml pot single cream
100-200g icing sugar
175g pouch of Maltesers
You will need 2 x 18cm sandwich cake tins
1. Heat the oven 160ºC conventional (shelf below centre), fan oven 150ºC, gas mark 3 (centre shelf). Base line the cake tins with greaseproof paper.
2. Sieve the flour, sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter with 200ml of water in a pan, gently.
4. Add to the flour with the eggs. Mix well.
5. Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. They may crack a little on the surface.
6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tins and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool fully.
7. To make the icing: melt the chocolate with the cream and butter until smooth. Allow to cool until it is spreadable and beat in enough icing sugar to make the mixture stiff.
Other blogposts you may be interested in :