Tuesday 19 March 2013

WeightWatchers Parmesan & Pesto Sauce review


I'm still "spring cleaning" in my food cupboard, using up lots of jars of sauces and sachets of seasoning that have been lurking at the back, so tonight, I decided to try a WeightWatchers Parmesan & Pesto sauce. I was surprised to see the word pesto on the label because it's bright red and looks like a tomato-based sauce.


I opened up the jar to have a little taste - you never really know what jars of sauce will taste like and some need a little help in the seasoning department so I always have a little sample before adding them to the dish. It has a very sweet flavour that I felt needed counterbalancing with something spicy or salty. It's nice and chunky though. I couldn't actually detect any pesto in there but I'll take their word for it !


I decided to max out on the veg, adding some mushrooms, orange pepper and onions, as well as some smoked sausages to balance out the sweetness of the sauce with some saltiness, as I mentioned above.


This made a really tasty and very quick and simple midweek meal.

I was just watching on TV last night about how many "low fat" products are absolutely packed with sugar because they need something to make them taste nice in the absence of fat. I therefore turned with trepidation to the nutritional values and was pleasantly surprised - 1/2 a jar contains just 86 calories, 2.8g of fat and 6.5g of sugar. As it's so low in calories, I would think most of that sugar comes from the tomatoes (yes, it is indeed a tomato-based sauce depite the name. Weightwatchers describe it as "a delicious low fat sauce made with Parmigiano Reggiano and green pesto combined with delicious vine ripened tomatoes").

It got a thumbs-up from the whole family, and I love the fact that it is only 2 ProPoints for half a jar.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £1.80 for 350g

Disclosure : I received some WeightWatchers sauces in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


WeightWatchers Sicilian Lemon & Elderflower Cordial review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...