Saturday 23 March 2013

New Covent Garden Baked Potato with Cheese and Beans Soup review


When it's cold outside, I love nothing better than a bowl of steaming hot soup with a doorstep of freshly baked crusty bread. And while we're on the subject of warming comfort food, I always think you just can't beat a big fluffy baked potato topped with cheese and beans.

Nevertheless, when New Covent Garden got in touch to ask if I'd like to try out their latest Soup of the Month, I wasn't entirely convinced - Baked Potato with Cheese and Beans as a soup? Would it work? 

Well, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I had visions of something very insipid resembling baby food but I should have known better - those NCG-types certainly know how to rustle up a nice bowl of soup ! Their website explains : "Our cooks blended together all the soft, fluff y innards of a baked potato combined it with the moreish taste of mature cheddar cheese, haricot beans and tomatoes, then added crispy potato skins to recreate all the mouth-watering fl avours of the original dish in a lovely, smooth soupy form."



It really does taste of baked potato. The main flavour is potato, then you get a definite cheesiness coming through. I couldn't taste the beans or tomatoes much, but could definitely detect garlic.

The one thing I was really disappointed about was that this is a smooth soup - I always think chunky soups are more satisfying and this would have worked really well with whole beans and chunks of potato - but that's purely down to personal preferences. I actually had a good giggle reading the comments on NCG's Facebook wall about this soup - this seems to be a real Marmite one with people either absolutely loving or hating it !

A half-carton serving contains 186 calories, 20.1g of carbs of which 3.9g sugars, 8.1g fat of which 5.1g saturates, 3g of fibre and 1.5g of salt.

You can't find New Covent Garden soup at Tesco's any more but you will find them at all the other supermarkets. This is this month's Soup of the Month so it won't be there for much longer - get your skates on if you want to give it a try.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £2.20

Disclosure : We received some cartons of New Covent Garden's Soup of the Month in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this in Morrison's and while I really like jacket potato, cheese and beans the thought of it as a soup makes me cringe a little

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a bit wrong to me. I like some of the other soups they do, so may give it a go, but not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...