Friday 24 October 2014

Madhouse recipe : Figgy Pizzas


I like pineapple on Hawaiian Pizza but that's about as adventurous as I've been when it comes to sweet and savoury pizza toppings. I decided to try out some of the figs from the crate that I bought at the market on pizza and it worked quite well, even if the recipe needs tweaking.

Figgy Pizzas


ingredients :

for the base :

2 sachets of dry yeast
2tbsp sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
2tsp coarse salt
4 cups flour
1&1/2 cups warm water

for the topping :

Parma ham
red onion
fresh figs
honey
pine nuts



Put the water in a large bowl, add the yeast and leave for 5 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, oil and salt. Add the flour and stir in with a spatula. Form into a ball, and leave in the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.


I used Filippo Berio Gran Cru Monti Iblei olive oil for the pizza dough. It has a lovely zesty fragrance of tomato leaves with works very well with pizza.


Once it has risen, separate into two halves and spread them out with your fingers onto two oiled baking sheets.


I decided to pre-fry the red onion for a couple of minutes so that it would be nice and soft. I left it chunky so that it wouldn't get too well cooked or burn under the grill.


Lay slices of Parma ham all over the pizza base and arrange onion rings and fig halves over the top. 


Bake in the oven at 180° for 20-25 minutes, until the dough is cooked and the figs are soft.


Sprinkle pine nuts over the top and drizzle with honey.

It's not bad at all but it could definitely be improved. I was a bit worried about which flavours would work together so I kept it simple but it ended up a bit bland. I think a tomatoey base would help moisten things up and some cheese - maybe mozzarella or goats cheese - on top would be an improvement too.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Cooking with a Tagine : Chicken & Preserved Lemon Tagine

2 comments:

  1. Perfect! I love the combination of prosciutto and figs, but never had them on pizza. And I love pine nuts, all my fave ingredients in one dish, splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful do they look! Adore figs, thanks for linking up, lovely to have you x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...