Friday 10 October 2014

This month's Kitchen Trotter box - what's for Thai, Mum ?!


This month, I'd seen a sneaky hint on the Kitchen Trotter facebook page that let us know that we'd be travelling (gastronomically speaking) to an Asian country, but where would it be? As soon as I took the lid off the box, I saw the word Thai leap out at me. Aha, Thai cuisine is something I know very little about, to be honest. It's always struck me as odd that whereas Chinese takeaways abound in the UK, France is full of Vietnamese restaurants - I assume it's down to the countries that belonged to the French and British Empires way back when ? Whether in the UK or France, I've never really got to try Thai food though so this will be a voyage of culinary discovery for me.


The first item I took out was a Pad Thai noodles kit with rice noodles and sauce. I've often heard of Pad Thai and it's something I've always wanted to try so I'm looking forward to discovering this one.


Next is a sachet of Spicy Red Thai Curry Paste.


Tamarind Stir Fry Paste, Tom Kha Thai Instant Soup and Peanut & Coconut Thai Sauce all sound intriguing.


The tin of Jasmine Flowers looks very exotic too, so I'll be interested to try those. They work well in desserts apparently.


I thought the leaves were curry leaves when I saw the bag but they are actually Kaffir Lime Leaves, which are used to give a zesty flavour to Thai curries, soups and coconut dishes.


The little extras this month were a sticker and magnet highlighting that it's Kitchen Trotter's second birthday. 


And also a cute little Buddha figure that I will be putting on a shelf in the kitchen to watch over my bubbling Thai concoctions and keep me on track !

On to the all important recipes ...


Mix of Beetroot and Stir-fried Prawns


Scallop Soup with Coconut Milk and Red Curry


Massaman Sauce Fish Dish


Pad Thai


Thai Jasmine Flan

Ooh interesting ... I'm off to Poland all next week but I'll be trying some of these out as soon as I get back.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Globecooking recipe : Sfeha (Jordan)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...