When Lady Gaga unveiled her very strange and now iconic raw meat dress at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, I'm sure I wasn't alone in scratching my head and wondering where on earth she (or her designers) got her inspiration from. I'm sure you'd never believe that this very elegant and more veggie-friendly alternative, modelled by TV star Lucy Watson, has been inspired by the new packaging for Pilgrims Choice Cheddar Cheese. Yes, really !
The dress was exclusively created using supreme silk satin and features over 20,000 patterned enlaced sequins carefully hand-stitched onto the gown. It reflects the Pilgrims Choice brand colours in its black and gold material and also in the shape of the logo, which echoes the swipe underneath the Pilgrims Choice logo on its blocks of cheese, to celebrate the cheese's recent make over. It may be inspired by a block of cheddar but that's the only cheesy thing about it - the £40,000 couture outfit by acclaimed designer Zeynep Kartalis is accompanied by £30,000 worth of vintage canary yellow diamonds, once again reflecting the iconic Pilgrims Choice brand colours. Forget Made in Chelsea, this is more Maid in Cheddar ! The new Pilgrims Choice Cheddar Cheese brand packaging is in stores now, priced at £4.00 for a 350g block, but you'll need to get through a fair few kilos if you want to have a go at recreating that dress !
If you want something equally sophisticated and eye-catching but prefer your cheese on your plate, you might like to try this stylish and striking spaghetti dish, also inspired by the new packaging. This sophisticated alternative to an everyday pasta meal deliciously combines the richness of sautéed shrimps with juicy tomatoes and cheesy Pilgrims Choice sauce. Why not get a dinner party scheduled and impress your guests !
· 300g black spaghetti
· 2 tbsps olive oil
· 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
· 1 leek finely chopped
· 225g cooked shrimps
· 200g Pilgrims Choice Mature Cheddar
· Dash of white wine
· A sprinkle of chilli flakes
· 1tbsp cornflour
· 12 fl oz milk
1. To make the sauce, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic and leek and cook until soft.
2. Make a cheese sauce in a separate pan - mix the cornflour in the milk to form a paste then add the rest of the milk (Personally speaking, I'd melt some butter and mix in the cornflour to make a roux before blending in the milk.)
3. Heat until it boils, stirring constantly, and when it has thickened add the Pilgrims Choice Mature Cheddar and stir well
4. Add it to the cooked onion and leek, stir well and add the shrimps (don't overcook)
5. Add chopped tomatoes
6. Season with white wine, chilli, salt and black pepper
7. To cook the spaghetti, fill a large pan with 2.2 litres of salted boiling water, add spaghetti, turn down and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes
8. Drain and serve with the sauce
What do you think about black food? Everyone at The Madhouse (including me !) was very dubious at first when I made Cuttlefish Ink Paella, even if it smelt and tasted lovely !
PS Just to clarify, the dress is black and gold, not white and gold or black and blue, whatever your eyes are telling you !
Disclosure : I'll be receiving some Pilgrims Choice Cheddar. It's up to me if I eat it or wear it though !