Friday 27 March 2015

#KitchenClearout : Mojito Lime Salmon with Cheesy Veg


I'm trying to keep the momentum going for my #KitchenClearout, which is still very much an ongoing work in progress - I seem to be replacing things faster than I'm using them, which is how the problem started! Having defrosted some salmon fillets, I couldn't decide what to do with them - I usually smother them in garlic salt and lime juice but recently I tried Grilled Salmon with Moroccan Spices which was equally delicious so, looking for something original to try, I turned to my tin of seasoning sachets and came across this Mojito Lime Marinade Mix - perfect.


The packaging suggests mixing it with white wine vinegar, white rum and oil but I just added oil to mine, then smeared it all over the salmon fillets to form a crust. Off to the oven they go !


While in my seasoning sachets tin, I saw a packet of cheddar cheese sauce mix and decided to use that up too. I fried off some mushrooms and red onions in a pan.


I had a good clear out in the veg compartment of the fridge and put a couple of carrots and some chicory (endives) on to boil. 


Once tooth-tender, I drained off the water and reused the pan to make up the cheese sauce. I always find packet cheese sauce quite bland so I added some minced garlic and smoked paprika to give it a bit of punch.


Once thickened, I stirred through the carrots/chicory and the mushrooms/onions. Usually I put this in an ovenproof dish with extra grated cheese on top but tonight, I couldn't be bothered (and the oven was in use for the salmon so I was worried about the flavours mingling !) so I served it straight from the pan.


And there you have it. Zesty, zingy mojito lime salmon with a side serving of cheesy veg. Two sachets down, many more to go !


Fancy having a #KitchenClearout too? Join in the linky here !

2 comments:

  1. I love Salmon. My daughter hates it plain but enjoys it with some kind of sauce or topping so I reckon this would go down well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Madhouse kids love it with Dairylea/Laughing Cow sauce - just melt a few triangles in some liquid crème frâche and pour it on top. Big smiles every time (although I find it quite bland !)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...