Sunday 29 March 2015

Globe-cooking recipe : Horenso No Shira-aé (Japan)


Despite absolutely loving Kamo No Teriyaki (Teriyaki Duck with Soba Noodles), the first dish from my Japanese-themed Kitchen Trotter box, I really wasn't sure about the other recipes because they just didn't sound like things we'd really enjoy. In for a penny, in for a pound though, so I decided to see if they were as unappetising as I expected ! This was the first of the Japanese starters and it wasn't actually as bad as I'd thought, although I did find it a bit bland.

Horenso No Shira-aé


ingredients :

300g tofu
300g spinach
1 carrot
1tbsp mirin sauce
1tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp sugar
80g walnuts (or I used pine nuts)


The recipe needed two ingredients from the Japanese box : tofu and mirin sauce.


Empty the tofu into a saucepan, just cover with water and bring to the boil then drain.


Don't worry if it falls apart as you'll be mashing it up in a while anyway.


After chilling in the fridge for a while, mash the tofu then add the sugar, soy sauce and mirin seasoning.


Mix it all up then pop it back in the fridge. It looks decidedly unappetising at this point !


Cut a carrot into 2mm thick slices and boil in salted water for a few minutes until soft. In a separate saucepan, blanch some spinach - ideally fresh but I used frozen which worked fine too. Drain both and add them to the tofu.


Mix it all up and put back in the fridge to chill for a while before serving. Serve in individual ramekins sprinkled with walnuts or pine nuts.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...